account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

KRACK attack on wifi WPA2

SOLVED
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 41 of 81
Message 41 of 81

Re: Security patch of WPA2

Come on, Sony. At least release the patch also for the Z5 family! Otherwise, I'll have to change my phone to a different one. You fixed the Blueborne vulnerability for it recently but it won't be enough if we can't use WiFi which I believe is a far more fundemental tool than Bluetooth. In fact, I think you should patch all your devices on which patching would work because this vulnerability seems to be very dangerous.

--Xperia Z5 Compact user

Adviser
Message 42 of 81
Message 42 of 81

Hi Sony,

It's not solution for z3 and z2 tablet.

Your devices do not work as expected and have defects.

Please correct your bugs. I do not need a new function (or new OS), I need the device to work as it should.

Visitor
Message 43 of 81
Message 43 of 81

Shame! Just patching those phones with the the smallest numbers out there, i.e. the newest and most expensive models, must be a joke.

We ask for a security fix, not an update. That means what we have now is broken and always was broken - just (hopefully) nobody was aware of it.

Pioneer
Message 44 of 81
Message 44 of 81

You guys do realize that this issue affects most devices with wireless networking ("Wi-Fi") transceivers, irrespective of manufacturer, right?

And the icing on the cake is that one of the devices most at risk - routers (i.e. the part your smartphone connects to using Wi-Fi) - probably won't see updates to address this in any sort of hurry... Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of consumers never update their routers anyway (i.e. so the vast majority of routers will effectively be unpatched) and routers supplied by ISPs often don't see updates in a timely fashion, if at all.

And let's not forget that most manufacturers of Android devices will have a similar policy to Sony - only update recent and/or high-end devices.

So yeah, if you're gonna sit here and whinge how Sony is the Big Bad Wolf because they won't update <Device "X">, take a look at the rest of the world with Wi-Fi capabilities, because most of the stuff out there won't be updated in a hurry and a frightning number of devices will never seen an update at all!

In our house, we have roughly 50 Wi-Fi devices across multiple brands - of those, roughly 1/4 will probably see an update to address this issue at some point and of those 1/4 that will probably see an update, I've only seen actual confirmation that an update is coming from roughly half of the manufacturers... In other words, that vast majority of the stuff in our house is never going to see an update, and we have far more technology than the "typical" household!

• I can't help you if you don't tell me what mobile device you're using & what version of Android it is running, in English (you can use Google Translate - http://translate.google.com).
  • The more information you can give me, the easier I can help you!
  •  Please kudo this post if you think it has been helpful; or mark it as the "solution" if it fixed your problem, so that other users facing the same issue can find the solution!
Apprentice
Message 45 of 81
Message 45 of 81

However,  the bug only concerns routers if they act as clients, which in turn is again a very rare setup in any consumer household I know. Pretty much only an issue if u use the router as a wifi extender or with wifi roaming enabled.

So yeah, end-users should first and foremost upgrade their clients. That would plug most of the relevant holes.

It is *imo* also a juridical issue. In the EU we have 2 years of warranty. That means, if a product is sold faulty by factory, as the consumer u have the right to claim a free repair or a working product. That obviously applies to all wifi products. If consumers were to take a proper stand, companies would be forced to provide updates to all those devices. And that wouldn't be a bad thing, now would it?

Pioneer
Message 46 of 81
Message 46 of 81

@daehxxiD wrote:
If consumers were to take a proper stand, companies would be forced to provide updates to all those devices. And that wouldn't be a bad thing, now would it?

In a perfect world... But consumers are lazy - heck, society is lazy as a whole these days.

It's like the Edward Snowden thing all over again - everyone agrees that it was terrible what the Government was doing... But did people do anything more than stomp their feet?

Not really.

This is the same - people will cry and carry on about never buying <insert brand> again... Then in six months time forget all about this, as if it never happened.

It's sad, but that's where society is at these days...

• I can't help you if you don't tell me what mobile device you're using & what version of Android it is running, in English (you can use Google Translate - http://translate.google.com).
  • The more information you can give me, the easier I can help you!
  •  Please kudo this post if you think it has been helpful; or mark it as the "solution" if it fixed your problem, so that other users facing the same issue can find the solution!
Apprentice
Message 47 of 81
Message 47 of 81

Right. Very true and very unfortunate. In fact, pretty much noone around me seems to have realized this KRACK is even a thing. Guess informing those around you is at least a step in the right direction. 

One time poster
Message 48 of 81
Message 48 of 81

Krack fix for Sony Z5 compact

Hello,

when do you update my brandnew Sony Z5 compact with the WPA2 fix ( KRACK)?

Apprentice
Message 49 of 81
Message 49 of 81

@gregoryopera wrote:

You guys do realize that this issue affects most devices with wireless networking ("Wi-Fi") transceivers, irrespective of manufacturer, right?

Yes, I know, but I care and I choose my devices _before_ buying them, to be sure they receive security updates.

And the icing on the cake is that one of the devices most at risk - routers (i.e. the part your smartphone connects to using Wi-Fi) - probably won't see updates to address this in any sort of hurry... Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of consumers never update their routers anyway (i.e. so the vast majority of routers will effectively be unpatched) and routers supplied by ISPs often don't see updates in a timely fashion, if at all.

No, the vulnerability we're talking now is client-side, and my router firmware is already patched (the patch is necessary when you use it in client mode).

And let's not forget that most manufacturers of Android devices will have a similar policy to Sony - only update recent and/or high-end devices.

You're right on other manufacturers, that's why I'm a bit upset with the Xperia Z5 which is both recent and high-end.

So yeah, if you're gonna sit here and whinge how Sony is the Big Bad Wolf because they won't update <Device "X">, take a look at the rest of the world with Wi-Fi capabilities, because most of the stuff out there won't be updated in a hurry and a frightning number of devices will never seen an update at all!

Yes, I'm buying an iPhone or a Pixel for Christmas, as they got security updates.

In our house, we have roughly 50 Wi-Fi devices across multiple brands - of those, roughly 1/4 will probably see an update to address this issue at some point and of those 1/4 that will probably see an update, I've only seen actual confirmation that an update is coming from roughly half of the manufacturers... In other words, that vast majority of the stuff in our house is never going to see an update, and we have far more technology than the "typical" household!

Thanks God I tend to use ethernet for my IoT devices, all those which are not getting any patch will be either sold as used or recycled for a different purpose.

But we're going off-topic, we were looking for news about the security upgrades, we got bad news, we will upgrade the unpatched devices to those with a better update policy.

Visitor
Message 50 of 81
Message 50 of 81

Sony z2 tablet bought 1.5 year ago as new device and now I can throw it away due to no support from Sony for

- BLUEBORNE

- KRACK

???

I do not talk about usual small update request.  We talk about a major security patch!!!

Shall we use our European consumer rights, Sony?