account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KRACK attack on wifi WPA2

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 1 of 81
Message 1 of 81

KRACK attack on wifi WPA2

Is there a schedule known when Xperia wifi-enabled devices will get an update for KRACK vulnerability?

https://www.krackattacks.com/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 22 of 81
Message 22 of 81

Re: Security patch of WPA2

Hello everyone!

Sony Mobile treats the security and privacy of customer data with the utmost seriousness. We are aware of the issue known as ‘KRACK’ and would like to reassure our users that protective patches are being made available as part of our ongoing Security Update Programme - patched devices will have Android Security Patch level dated above 2017-11-05.

The following Xperia™ devices will receive protective patches

• Xperia X 
  • Xperia X Performance
  • Xperia X Compact
  • Xperia XZ
  • Xperia XZ Premium 
  • Xperia XZs 
  • Xperia XZ1 
  • Xperia XZ1 Compact  
  • Xperia XA1 
  • Xperia XA1 Ultra 
  • Xperia L1 
  • Xperia XA1 Plus

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

80 REPLIES
Talent
Message 2 of 81
Message 2 of 81

KRACK WPA2 attacks, will Sony patch the Z2?

As the title reads, now that the WPA2 protocol is deemed unsafe and could be hacked it comes to question whether Sony will patch the Z2. This phone hasn't had a proper Android (security) patch for over a year, but this is certainly worth patching in my opion.

What say you?

One time poster
Message 3 of 81
Message 3 of 81

KRACK WPA2 Vulnerability

Was this patched on the z5 compact on its most recent update?

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 4 of 81
Message 4 of 81

KRACK WPA2 Vulnerability Z3

My Z3 says it is up to date with the latest software which i have confirmed on the sony support site.

In the realese details of the KRACK vulnerability it states "all Android versions higher than 6.0 are also affected by the attack, and hence can be tricked into installing an all-zero encryption key"

My phone is running Android Version 6.0.1 and has a Android security patch level from the 1st of May 2016. Given we are now in late 2017 it seems strange to have such an old security patch level.

Will a patch for KRACK be released for the Z3 soon? 

One time poster
Message 5 of 81
Message 5 of 81

Re: KRACK WPA2 Vulnerability

Also, my Z5 Compact still has Android 7.0 and the security patch dates back to December 2016!!!!

Visitor
Message 6 of 81
Message 6 of 81

Re: KRACK WPA2 attacks, will Sony patch the Z2?

definitely! i was about to say the same thing. Every Sony Phone with android 6 should get an security update! 

I love my Z2. It would be shame if Sony did nothing. 

Talent
Message 7 of 81
Message 7 of 81

Re: KRACK WPA2 attacks, will Sony patch the Z2?

Nothing is patched yet, not even the XZ Premium or XZ1. In my opinion ALL phones on Android 6.0 or higher should be patched with this. This is a huge security issue.

Visitor
Message 8 of 81
Message 8 of 81

KRACK Exploit of WPA 2

https://www.krackattacks.com  

WPA 2 is now vunerable. All android devices with Android 6 and higher are now vunerable! Hope Sony will release security update for all Xperia devices with Android 6 and newer! 

One time poster
Message 9 of 81
Message 9 of 81

Re: KRACK Exploit of WPA 2

The costumer service, don't have any information about updates. I send him a message because I have an Xperia M5 and I am worried with this problem.

I don't have much hopes in Sony. We have few chances to see an update to fix the problem. I have had 2 Xperia phones and I don't have any problem with them, but the disaster of updates schedule of the phones it's the most important reason because I don't buy any other sony mobile.

I bought my actual phone (Xperia M5) the same week that was released in my country, but 7 months later, we have news about that Sony don't update the M5 to Android 7.0

If the Xperia M5, don't receive Android 7.0 when was a mobile with seven months of life, I don't expect that Sony update this phone or older.

Regular
Message 10 of 81
Message 10 of 81

Security patch for KRACK wifi WPA2 issue

Hi

I understand that Google are currently working on a fix for this.  I am sure that the latest Xperia phones will get a security update in due course, but what about older devices?

My wife is using my old Z2 and I think it says that last security update was mid 2016. If you check for updates it says ' your device is up to date'.

As this is such a major security flaw, especially in Android 6 (which is what the Z2 is stuck at), will Sony be supplying a patch?

Thanks