account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

404 errors on laptop

SOLVED
Demigod
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

404 errors on laptop

Is anyone able to have a good guess as to why one of my laptops very often gives 404 error messages, but the other one, using the same links or typed URLs doesn't do this...? I thought it was to do with pages or links being broken, so it doesn't make much sense to me why different laptops would be different in that regard.

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Master
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

Re: 404 errors on laptop

you should try with google chrome or mozila just to be sure...

also , open run command

type %temp% and delete all the temporary files... all that are opened in the folder..

also , open IE , press the settings icon there.. then select internet options...

then select settings under browsing history , under the general tab...

then select view files... then press ctrl + a , then delete all thos files... make sure you permanantely delete them so press shift + delete...

try this..

15 REPLIES 15
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Are you using IE?

Demigod
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

Yes, on both computers.

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

Ok, IE 8?

Goto Tools>Internet Options>Connections, click LAN settings, make sure Proxy service is NOT ticked.

Highlighted
Demigod
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

This might well be irrelevant, but the machine that gives the frequent 404 errors also never connects to our wifi straightaway. We have to get it to look for errors and it then always connects. Both are on Windows 7, but the more annoying of the two is 32-bit and the better one is 64-bit. I don't know what that means, but the bigger number sounds better... Slightly smiling Face

Forum Legend
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

Not connected, that explains ....

You should not have problem checking the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit in the net. Winking Face

Demigod
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

Thanks. I'll do that in a while. McAfee is currently doing a full scan, which should be finished fairly soon, I hope. We started it last night...!

Master
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

you should try with google chrome or mozila just to be sure...

also , open run command

type %temp% and delete all the temporary files... all that are opened in the folder..

also , open IE , press the settings icon there.. then select internet options...

then select settings under browsing history , under the general tab...

then select view files... then press ctrl + a , then delete all thos files... make sure you permanantely delete them so press shift + delete...

try this..

Demigod
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

I will check the difference some time. The computer is connected when it gives the 404 error. In fact, would it not have to be to generate the error...?

Forum Legend
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

If Proxy server (not service - typo in the earlier post) is not ticked, reset IE settings, that should work.

Goto Tools>Internet settings, click Advanced tab and then reset.