account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

bad sound quality with the new walkman player

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

bad sound quality with the new walkman player

I have updated my new Sony Xperia Z1 with the newest system update and the new walkman player 8.5.A.3.2
So far, so good.
But somehow the sound quality is very bad, my panasonic in-ear plugs sound like some cheap 1$ headphones. Furthermore the "clear sound" function doesn't make anything better, partly even worse.

How to fix that? Is it because of the version of my phone?
16 REPLIES 16
Emperor
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Re: bad sound quality with the new walkman player

Is this through the loud speaker or headphones?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

I agree with the OP. I have a Z3 D6603 and listen primarily through a wired Sony MH1C Smart Headset. With KitKat I was really impressed with the natural frequency response, soundstage depth and clarity. The only "setting" I use is DSEE HX turned on. Everything else off.

When I upgraded to Lollipop, I noticed a that the bass and treble had been boosted (a historical, reoccuring problem with Sony Walkman Apps) and the soundstage is now restricted; not as airy and spacious. I think there might be a phase issue in the left and right channels. This is with the same version of Walkman Player that I had on KitKat because Sony pushed out the Walkman updates before Lollipop.

So it's not the Walkman Player in my opinion. It's something with Lollipop. To test this, I went back to KitKat and, lo and behold, the glorious sound quality was back REGARDLESS of the version of the Walkman app I was using (I archive all the updates).

This is the only thing I don't like about the 5.0.2 update on my D6603. If the sound quality can be made to be exactly like it was on KitKat, I'll be happy.

Rookie
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

It is through the headphones, and to test, if they were broken I used youtube, soundcloud and other apps but the quality is unchanged and very good.

But as I can read now LesPaulPlayer says it might be because of Lollipop which might very good be the reaaon.

Hopefully they'll fix that issue soon, this muffled sound qualityis rather annoying.
Learner
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

Audio not as loud after 5.0.2 Update

The audio isn't as loud on my Z2 (D6503) after the Lollipop update, both headphones and speakers.  

It seems fine in the Walkman app where it sounds the same as before the update but YouTube videos and app videos aren't as loud as before the update.  Is there any reason for this or a way to fix it? 

Commissioner
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

Indeed there is a sound quality deficiency in this latest update. I was so annoyed that I did a PC repair by wiping up all data to see whether it's the software. It seems to improve somewhat. The sound level is lower compared to KitKat and Clearaudio is muted. I am now using equalizer to give a better audio sound. Hope future updates will improve the quality.
Apprentice
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

So much this....So much hype about lollipop but the music experience is forfeited...Of all the "extensive testing" done, this was'nt known? Sounds bull to me...As if the audio quality wasnt bad enough back than..

Learner
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

sound enhancements not working as well after lollipop

Since updating to lollipop on my xperia z1 the sound enhancements are not as effective as what they use to be. The sound quality when listening to music is no where near the same as on KitKat. I was wondering whether anyone else is experiencing this, I am now having to turn the volume to nearly Max where as before I only had it just over half way. 

Emperor
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

Re: sound enhancements not working as well after lollipop

Is this through the walkman app or a third-party app?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

Re: sound enhancements not working as well after lollipop

Both as far I can tell, i use a mixture of deezer and the walkman. Deezer allows you adjust the phones settings through the app so is well supported.