account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Why did you remove HD Audio via MINI USB out in Lollipop update?

Adviser
Message 11 of 42
Message 11 of 42

Re: Lollipop and USB DAC

I am wondering how we best get sony to hear and understand this issue.

Currently the Lollipop Walkman app (8.5.A.3.3) is feeding all audio through the android framework (analogous to the Windows Kernel Mixer), which results in unnecessary signal processing and is detrimental to audio quality.

If the Xperia Z Series and the Walkman app are to support Sony's positioning as a brand for audiophiles, they need to set this right.

• There should be a choice to send audio directly to the internal or an external USB DAC without any processing at all (similar to WASAPI in Windows)
  • Material with >96kHz samplerate should be downsampled in integer ratio. 192 -> 96, 176.4 -> 88.2 to achieve maximum quality
  • In the user interface there should be an indication of the bit depth/samplerate of the source file and the bit depth/samplerate that is sent to the DAC. Then one would see immediately, whether the source file is sent to the DAC bit-perfect or not.

The USB Audio Player Pro app does most of these things right, which goes to show that it is not impossible to do this. Someone simply needs to sit down an do it.

Am I the only one to see this as an issue?

One time poster
Message 12 of 42
Message 12 of 42

I couldnt agree more - Sony have this deep capability around audio and the Walkman App is really very good, (as is the Camera) ...

But this capability is only matched by their ability to shoot themselves in the foot by alienating their biggest fans.

I went through this once before with their Vaio laptop range and completely decamped from Sony as a braqnd as a result of crappy support (i.e. stopped buying computers, televisions, and everything else in their portfolio - for about 10 years). 

They finally won me back again with the Z2 phone, but are in danger of loosing (this time for good). The ommission of the DAC support was the only reason I bought this device in the first place. And the first opportunity they had, they buggered it up again. #Fail Sony yet again. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 13 of 42
Message 13 of 42

Re: Lillipop DAC USB

@adla1

With Lollipop, the sampling rate of the digital output via USB is selected to be the highest available one, depending on the spec of the connected DAC.
And the phone always up/down-samples the music file to the selected rate (this conversion cannot be turned off).

So if you connect a DAC that supports 192kHz the phone will output this resolution and if you connect a DAC that only supports lower resolutions the phone will lower the output resolution.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 14 of 42
Message 14 of 42

This feature was one of the key points for me, but even with the exclusion of the setting my Fiio dac amp no longer even works through the usb otg.
Highlighted
Talent
Message 15 of 42
Message 15 of 42

Re: Lillipop DAC USB

"the sampling rate of the digital output via USB is selected to be the highest available one"

whoever thought this is a good idea, is an idiot.

welcome to the wonderful universe of intermodulation distortion!

Sony Xperia Support
Message 16 of 42
Message 16 of 42

@LewisJ88

Sorry to hear that your DAC is not working. Could you let me know the exact model you have and i'll forward it internally as feedback to see if it's something that we can solve from our end.

@toothpaste

This upsampling is standard for Android Lollipop. I'm afraid it's not something that we can change from our end.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 17 of 42
Message 17 of 42

Re: Why did you remove HD Audio via MINI USB out in Lollipop update?

It is the fiio e7.
Talent
Message 18 of 42
Message 18 of 42

@Rickard

i did not speak of upsampling.

Regular
Message 19 of 42
Message 19 of 42

Hi there

I came back to see if there is any update on this one from Sony at all?

Sony, you advertise the Z3 compact as hi-res compatible but you remove a key feature from lollipop that was present in kitkat for hi-res out via usb.

My Chord Hugo no longer works with my Z3 Compact as you have removed the hi-res via external usb support.

The suggestion that lollipop has this support is frankly misguided and wrong.

I am using kitkat at the moment and am very frustrated that I bought the Z3C just as a source for the Hugo and now I have to stick with kitkat.

I hope there is some positive feenack coming our way Slightly smiling Face

Thanks in advance

Sony Xperia Support
Message 20 of 42
Message 20 of 42

@mannyp

Sorry to hear that your DAC no longer works.

Z3 Compact still is and the feature has not been removed. But With Lollipop there's native support for it in Android which is now used.

Could you please send me a private message with the IMEI and build number you have in your phone and i will forward it internally to see if it's something we can solve from our end.