account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Vorbis comments not handled properly

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Vorbis comments not handled properly

I'm using Walkman ver. 8.5.A.2.7 on an Xperia Z2 (NTT Docomo). AAC (.m4a) used to be my format of choice, but I have several albums where tracks segue from one to the next, and after trying several encoders (though admittedly not Quicktime [iTunes], as my PC is running Linux), I couldn't find a single one that could produce files that would play gaplessly. There was always a tiny silence between tracks.

So I pretty much washed my hands of AAC and turned to Ogg Vorbis. Vorbis plays gaplessly with no problems, but whereas the Walkman app would read .m4a tags (artist, album, year, album art, etc.) perfectly, it doesn't pick up the year or album art from .ogg files, nor can it download and update the info when asked to. Album art can be added manually, as can the year, which wouldn't be so bad except that it has to be done for each track individually and is lost if the phone is ever rebooted. I can only conclude from this that the app doesn't support Vorbis comments correctly.

So I'm stuck with a choice between files that display info perfectly but have tiny gaps in between, or those that play gaplessly but have information missing.

2 REPLIES 2
Phy
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Re: Vorbis comments not handled properly

contact Sony regarding walkman format file support.
http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/
Rookie
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Re: Vorbis comments not handled properly

Thanks for the link. It seems that Sony Japan has a seperate site though, and that site is pointing my to my carrier (NTT Docomo) for support. I was hoping I might get the attention of a dev here.