account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Please, add Apple Lossless (ALAC) and AIFF playback, now.

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Please, add Apple Lossless (ALAC) and AIFF playback, now.

When I recently bought an Xperia phone, I was a little astonished that a Sony product in 2018 would still give me a hassle playing my ALAC files.

The original Apple Lossless Audio Codec has long been used as a lossless standard by Apple users instead of FLAC. Since FLAC is supported, ALAC should be too, not least because the original ALAC has been open-source since 2012...  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Adviser
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Re: Please, add Apple Lossless (ALAC) and AIFF playback, now.

Ah good! With the current update to Android 8.0 (rolled out for Xperia XA1 only this month 03/2018), the Music app version 9.3.12.A.0.5 now plays ALAC-encoded .m4a as well as .aiff files (although not AIFF-C files).

2 REPLIES 2
Adviser
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Ah good! With the current update to Android 8.0 (rolled out for Xperia XA1 only this month 03/2018), the Music app version 9.3.12.A.0.5 now plays ALAC-encoded .m4a as well as .aiff files (although not AIFF-C files).

Adviser
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Update 2018-12-14:

Correction after testing again: AIFF-container files are not played. WAV files (16, 24 and 32 bit) are played (Music app version 9.4.2.A.0.1 on Android 8.0, build 48.1.A.2.77)

While AIFF and WAV are both containing uncompressed audio data (PCM), AIFF is better in that it can carry meta data (e.g. title name, artist, etc. which are displayed in the player app) wheras WAV can't.