account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Music 9.0.0.A.0.1 update

Commissioner
Message 61 of 78
Message 61 of 78

Re: Music 9.0.0.A.0.1 update

Hi Gary,
I just felt the 10 version currently on playstore dealt with the artwork much better although perhaps I needed to delete my music and clean up the tags.

I'm not going to use the scanner, the music app one as I found it replaced many of my correct tags with incorrect tags, as I say I use mp3tag prior to transferring.
Commissioner
Message 62 of 78
Message 62 of 78

Google play store is now showing the latest Sony Music app version 9.1.11.A.0.1

I won't be updating as it screwed up my album art last time.
Commissioner
Message 63 of 78
Message 63 of 78

If I download and install the later version currently now on playstore and whatsnew, will it cause any issues with my current artwork whether it be tagged via the app or independently via software such as mp3tag?
Commissioner
Message 64 of 78
Message 64 of 78

#
@cobbler wrote:
If I download and install the later version currently now on playstore and whatsnew, will it cause any issues with my current artwork whether it be tagged via the app or independently via software such as mp3tag?

I'm trying to establish exactly what tagging functionality the app has.

You can "edit music info" which I assumed was an ID3tag editor. In the latest Sony Music version (that I've got anyway - 9.1.11.A.0.2), If you change say the genre, the change is persistent even when clearing app data (which I was surprised at), yet the change doesn't show up in another player app, nor in mp3tag. So it appears that the change is made in some kind of app specific database (or at least that's the implication). This is also underpinned by the logic that if tags are changed, they have to be written to the music file and since you can edit while playing, that would suggest you're not writing to the file (as it should be locked, as it's being read, I'd have thought).

You can also download artwork, either just for missing content or for everything (see below).

So... in practical terms, basically when you first run it and play a track, you get a pop-up asking if you want the app to update missing artwork. You can turn this functionality off or on using this pop-up. I've not tested it but obviously it implies that it will only do this for missing artwork. In settings, there's an option to "download music info" with a check box to replace all existing data. So this again implies that if will either do it for missing info or all info.

tbh I just wouldn't use an in-app function to retrieve artwork, unless you had nothing to lose (i.e. all tunes had no artwork).

I understand (from being on the Sony Music beta group) that artwork downloaded by the app is stored locally. I'm not sure about tagging. It's also indicated that album art is stored in a separate app-specific store, so 'shouldn't' mess up existing embedded art.

Personally, I like the Sony Music app but it has lagged behind, functionality wise, with competing products. I personally really like Phonograph. Basically, it supported mediastore-indepedent art work before the Sony Music app did. It's got a pretty decent UI (a gesture driven card system i.e. a set of layers) but everything's easily accessbile, although I sometimes find myself clicking on on the menu button and not finding what I was expecting. Definitely worth trying out and it's free too. Phonograph is still work in progress but is  impressive considering I believe it's just one dev (who's at Uni too).

Cheers,

Gaz

Commissioner
Message 65 of 78
Message 65 of 78

Hi Gary,

Great post Btw and thanks.

I initially used the scanner for all artwork for music on my phone, and I'm sure it did actually interfere with existing artwork and would replace incorrect name titles for some but not all.

I started from scratch but this time I use a tag editor before I transfer, but reluctant to install this latest version in fear of erasing all my work I've done for tagging artwork.

Commissioner
Message 66 of 78
Message 66 of 78

@cobbler wrote:
Hi Gary,

Great post Btw and thanks.

I initially used the scanner for all artwork for music on my phone, and I'm sure it did actually interfere with existing artwork and would replace incorrect name titles for some but not all.

I started from scratch but this time I use a tag editor before I transfer, but reluctant to install this latest version in fear of erasing all my work I've done for tagging artwork.

thank you Flushed Face

tbh just don't use the tag/art update!

Please note that also, because the app stores artwork in a separate DB, this DB structure can change between versions, which invalidates the stuff you've downloaded.

I did get some emails regarding posts you'd made but they're not visible now, so I guess you deleted them? Have you resolved your issues with the quickplay and playlist items? Quickplay's pretty nice. Just provides a couple of shuffle options. I think playlists are not normally dynamic, so if you add a tune to a list, it will stay there, even if you delete the tune/album, etc. You have to remove it from the playlist too. When you unmount the SDcard you will lose 'sight' of all tunes on there. I think your playlist content disappears because the OS knows that storage is absent (probably something to do with the mediastore and that it updates whenever a card is remounted). I guess a test might be if you had one track on your internal memory and 1 track on the sdcard, put both into a playlist and see whether the internal tune still appears when you unmount. I can see your logic about the playlist seeming to adapt to missing content but I suspect it's storage driven rather than intelligently recognising that a particular track is no longer at that pathway.

Cheers,

Gaz

Commissioner
Message 67 of 78
Message 67 of 78

Sorry for deleting, I only did so as I had found a related thread and as I replied to it I didn't want two duplicate thread posts.

I noticed that one piece of artwork was missing afterwards, and it was from an album I had used from using the app and not from mp3tag, so this kinda fits in with what you were saying about the storage database as all the others were mp3 tagged beforehand.

Strange though that when I removed two playlists from the preinstalled play music app two of the orphaned artwork disappeared from the Sony music app but I was still left with one, which is why I needed to perform the solution from the group.

Hope all that made sense.
Commissioner
Message 68 of 78
Message 68 of 78

@cobbler wrote:
Sorry for deleting, I only did so as I had found a related thread and as I replied to it I didn't want two duplicate thread posts.

I noticed that one piece of artwork was missing afterwards, and it was from an album I had used from using the app and not from mp3tag, so this kinda fits in with what you were saying about the storage database as all the others were mp3 tagged beforehand.

Strange though that when I removed two playlists from the preinstalled play music app two of the orphaned artwork disappeared from the Sony music app but I was still left with one, which is why I needed to perform the solution from the group.

Hope all that made sense.

no apology required. Just as long as you found out what you needed to.

Regarding the orphaned artwork disappearing, there's a tidy-up/auto housekeeping function in the sony artwork db. Since this artwork downloader function allows for much higher quality artwork, the housekeeping deletes orphaned content to keep store size at optimum. People were finding the stores were potentially increasing to hundreds of MBs in size (I think I read a beta quoted figure of 160MB or something).

Commissioner
Message 69 of 78
Message 69 of 78

hey cobbler

you've done it again.Slightly smiling Face

Interesting question though. I've never come across a battery charged audio notification, although a quick bit of research suggested it might be to do if your handset's been docked (I don't have a dock though).

What solution from yesterday did you mean?

About the only time I'm aware of notifications disappearing would be if you cleared data on your "media storage", which would wipe all sound notification settings.

Further research produced this!

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z3-Compact/Charging-tone/m-p/917354#M5347

look under settings/accessibility and there's a toggle to notify when fully charged. I tried toggling it - no option to change notification (at least in that part of settings). Same goes for the "charging" notification sound. Couldn't find any way to change that or switch it off. Any idea, just for community info?

Cheers,

Gaz

Commissioner
Message 70 of 78
Message 70 of 78

I deleted it as early as I could as I had found the answer and fixed it same as you found aswell. There hadn't been a reply so thought it was ok to delete.