account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Cannot play song

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Cannot play song

After transferring songs from phone to mem card I keep getting cannot play song error. I'm guessing music can't locate the media file due to the file being moved butcannot find a way to force the media player to update it's library
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cannot play song

Hi @Uniqhorn, welcome to our forum!

I'm sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

I can see that you have an Xperia Z3+ registered on your account, is that the phone you are experiencing this behaviour with and are you using the Music application?

If that is correct, the application does not have a setting that will force it to read in all music files again. What you can do instead of reset the application in the phone that handles all the media, this will force the phone to read in all media files again.

To do that go to Settings > Apps > 3 dots > Show system > Media Storage > Storage > Clear data > OK. Restart your phone and wait 15-20 minutes for all the media to be read in again, after that is done, try playing the song(s) again!

Let me know if that helps!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

5 REPLIES 5
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Hi @Uniqhorn, welcome to our forum!

I'm sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

I can see that you have an Xperia Z3+ registered on your account, is that the phone you are experiencing this behaviour with and are you using the Music application?

If that is correct, the application does not have a setting that will force it to read in all music files again. What you can do instead of reset the application in the phone that handles all the media, this will force the phone to read in all media files again.

To do that go to Settings > Apps > 3 dots > Show system > Media Storage > Storage > Clear data > OK. Restart your phone and wait 15-20 minutes for all the media to be read in again, after that is done, try playing the song(s) again!

Let me know if that helps!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Learner
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Worked like a charm. Many thanks
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Hi again!

Glad to hear that it's working again so you can enjoy some good music! Slightly smiling Face

Let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with and have a great day!

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

apart from the worst phone in history, the Xperia has a pop up that goes over an incoming call, what's that about, this phone has cost me thousands in lost work, it has a media player that doesn't play songs, it has a camera that won't shoot a photo, it has a charger that charges when it feels like it, it has a battery that needs constant charging, plus it looks crap, good point none. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Hi @minty150, sorry to hear that. Slightly frowning Face

Which Xperia device do you have? You can find this in Settings > (System) > About phone.

The pop-up that is shown over an incoming call does sound like something that is coming from a downloaded application as there is nothing like that by default in the device. Could you please try in safe mode and see if there is any change when you answer an incoming call?