account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't disable or uninstall the Movie Creator app

One time poster
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

I can't disable or uninstall the Movie Creator app

I can't stand the Movie Creator app. It offers no option to disable or uninstall it and every month it creates pointless movies from my media. Why? Did I ask it to? No. I hate it so much. I get that some people would enjoy what it makes but I don't understand why everyone is forced to use it. There is zero flexibility in choosing the content of these mini movies and no ability to opt out. The only thing you can do is hide the notifications, but it continues to make the movies whether you want them or not.

I regret the day I clicked on that app out of curiousity. I won't touch any other of Sony Xperia's default apps. Now I know better.

8 REPLIES
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: I can't disable or uninstall the Movie Creator app

You should be able to uninstall it (one of the 2 apps) and the other can be disabled. You might need to uninstall any updates before.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

One time poster
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Sony,you guys are really shameless. In France,we give a s*** about our privacy. And because i buy a Sonyit doesn't mean a pointless app needs to auto-upload MY PHOTOS and MY VIDEOS,to your servers,without any way to delete the online content.
So please enlight me: How are you respecting the law by not offering me any way to delete the content that you basically pulled out from my device with no permission whatsoever ? Should we start suing you for implementing a basic delete button?
One time poster
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

I simply went to the play store and uninstalled it from there. It is still an app on the phone but no longer created videos. Just do not open the app again as it will start recording again. Hope this helps.
One time poster
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

You Tezza,are a God.
One time poster
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

@Tezza I have done just that on a number of ooccasions. It still autoactivates and creates movies without my consent. I have been with Sony/Sony Ericsson for about 10 years. I am currently looking at buying a new phone. I was looking at the Z3 or waiting until the Z4 came out. Thanks to this unwanted and intrusive bloatware, I will now be purchasing either from HTC or Samsung. Thanks for nothing, Sony. And you couldn't even be bothered to come online and speak about this!!! Shameful!

One time poster
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

This is indeed a ball breaker. I like Sony so far because the water resistance (motor GPS) and close to standard android distribution, but those kind of non voluntary activity makes me doubt my next choice of phone...
Inhabitant
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

1) The content used by the Movie Creator app is NOT uploaded to servers from Sony or any other company. In fact the content doesn't even leave your phone.

2) The app does not create a new movie itself. It just creates a tiny file that references the videos and photos on your phone. Only if you manually export a movie the app creates a new actual movie that uses storage (eg. 80 MB).

3) To completely stop the app go to Settings > Apps > All and tap the Movie Creator app. Click on "delete data" (this will delete all data created by the app but not the app itself) and afterwards on "deactivate" (or "disable", I don't use English as system language). Now this app cannot start anymore (neither manually by the user nor automatically by itself) and you don't see its icon in the interface anymore.

One time poster
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Thanks so much! I was so sick of this dumb thing and this worked.