account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Problem with GPS

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 21 of 48
Message 21 of 48

Re: Problem with GPS

@Antonyt56 wrote:

@cwthomas wrote:

@Antonyt56 wrote:

@cwthomas wrote:

I returned my phone to Sony UK for repair, hopefully the phone will be returned with fully functioning GPS (if not I will be requesting a replacmnt unit / model).

Good luck, Sony don't care. I went through the exact same process only to have my phone returned to me last week with the GPS still not working (I think all they had done at the repair centre was reset the phone and maybe install a newer version of jellybean 4.3). I then phoned Sony to complain and they said all they could do is a manufacturer's repair under the warranty, which is what I just had had the phone returned from! Useless. Basically, as I explained to the Sony customer services lady, this is an issue (unless the poster above is correct which I don't beleive he/she is but I will try the fix all the same just to see) with android jellybean 4.3, which people have been complaining about for ages on google support forums (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/GAiqqqTlbIY%5B1-25-false%5D)

@cwthomas, keep us posted on how you get on asking ffor a replacement as if you manage to get them to give you a replacement model not on Jellybean 4.3 I will get them to give me one too. 

I came acros another possible fix here (http://www.askstudent.com/how-to/solved-searching-for-gps-issue-on-nexus-4-or-android-phones/ - look for Matt Hill's comment in the comments at the bottom of the page), which I've just tried tonight so I'll feedback to say if it works.

The most important question is IF and WHEN Sony Xperia M will be getting kitkat update. Does anyone know, a poster on these boards seems to think it will be sometime this year (http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-M-M-dual/Sony-Xperia-M-Going-To-Get-Android-4-4-Kitkat-Soon/m-p...

My issues are pretty much the same as those explaind in the 4th post on page one of this thread, I reckon this issue relates to the Xperia M as opposed to 4.3

Reading through this thread makes for pretty damning reading re so called 'support' from Sony, they appear to have been aware of the issue for a number of months and for whatever reason are failing to rectify - it should not be up to the customer to find 'work around' solutions - the product should work straight from the box.

I'll see what the the next week or so brings, in the meantime if someone from Sony could post the email address for the deparment that deals with complaints it would be appreciated.

Noone from Sony will comment on these threads, I've made them aware of the threads several times, they just do not care. I don't think it's an Xperia M issue, if you look at the first link in my previous post you'll see that the exact issue has been occuring across a vareity of devices all sharing one commonality - they are running jellybean 4.3. Sadly the Xperia M is the only phone that meets all of my needs, otherwise I would have made a chargeback request with my credit card provider, gotten the money back for my phone and bought a differernt phone and as a result of the standard of customer service I've recevied in this case I will never buy a Sony product where there is a suitable alternative and I will also advise my family and friends to do the same (no wonder the company is going down the pan - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27234511). Fundamentally this is a Google/Android issue in that they've released an OS with a faulty GPS and have done nothing to fix it, despite countless numbers of people complaining to them (again, see the first link in my previous post). Unfortunately this is what happens when virtual monopolies arise, I mean what else are people who can't afford whatver it is for an iPhone £500-600, going to use? A windows phone or a blackberry? Hmmmmmm......  

I was having the same GPS issues prior to updating to 4.3 (I was hoping that the update would resolve the issue, sadly it didn't) - we'll see what the next week brings...

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 22 of 48
Message 22 of 48

@cwthomas wrote:

@Antonyt56 wrote:

@cwthomas wrote:

@Antonyt56 wrote:

@cwthomas wrote:

I returned my phone to Sony UK for repair, hopefully the phone will be returned with fully functioning GPS (if not I will be requesting a replacmnt unit / model).

Good luck, Sony don't care. I went through the exact same process only to have my phone returned to me last week with the GPS still not working (I think all they had done at the repair centre was reset the phone and maybe install a newer version of jellybean 4.3). I then phoned Sony to complain and they said all they could do is a manufacturer's repair under the warranty, which is what I just had had the phone returned from! Useless. Basically, as I explained to the Sony customer services lady, this is an issue (unless the poster above is correct which I don't beleive he/she is but I will try the fix all the same just to see) with android jellybean 4.3, which people have been complaining about for ages on google support forums (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/GAiqqqTlbIY%5B1-25-false%5D)

@cwthomas, keep us posted on how you get on asking ffor a replacement as if you manage to get them to give you a replacement model not on Jellybean 4.3 I will get them to give me one too. 

I came acros another possible fix here (http://www.askstudent.com/how-to/solved-searching-for-gps-issue-on-nexus-4-or-android-phones/ - look for Matt Hill's comment in the comments at the bottom of the page), which I've just tried tonight so I'll feedback to say if it works.

The most important question is IF and WHEN Sony Xperia M will be getting kitkat update. Does anyone know, a poster on these boards seems to think it will be sometime this year (http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-M-M-dual/Sony-Xperia-M-Going-To-Get-Android-4-4-Kitkat-Soon/m-p...

My issues are pretty much the same as those explaind in the 4th post on page one of this thread, I reckon this issue relates to the Xperia M as opposed to 4.3

Reading through this thread makes for pretty damning reading re so called 'support' from Sony, they appear to have been aware of the issue for a number of months and for whatever reason are failing to rectify - it should not be up to the customer to find 'work around' solutions - the product should work straight from the box.

I'll see what the the next week or so brings, in the meantime if someone from Sony could post the email address for the deparment that deals with complaints it would be appreciated.

Noone from Sony will comment on these threads, I've made them aware of the threads several times, they just do not care. I don't think it's an Xperia M issue, if you look at the first link in my previous post you'll see that the exact issue has been occuring across a vareity of devices all sharing one commonality - they are running jellybean 4.3. Sadly the Xperia M is the only phone that meets all of my needs, otherwise I would have made a chargeback request with my credit card provider, gotten the money back for my phone and bought a differernt phone and as a result of the standard of customer service I've recevied in this case I will never buy a Sony product where there is a suitable alternative and I will also advise my family and friends to do the same (no wonder the company is going down the pan - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27234511). Fundamentally this is a Google/Android issue in that they've released an OS with a faulty GPS and have done nothing to fix it, despite countless numbers of people complaining to them (again, see the first link in my previous post). Unfortunately this is what happens when virtual monopolies arise, I mean what else are people who can't afford whatver it is for an iPhone £500-600, going to use? A windows phone or a blackberry? Hmmmmmm......  

I was having the same GPS issues prior to updating to 4.3 (I was hoping that the update would resolve the issue, sadly it didn't) - we'll see what the next week brings...

OK I meant the Jellybean OS, which runs from 4.1-4.3, has the GPS problem

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 23 of 48
Message 23 of 48

Hello there,

I bought the Xperia M dual and yeah, the GPS issue is very disappointing. Im used to Garmim devices as well other Sony phones from the past (Xperia Mini Pro), and they were just perfect regarding to GPS. After trying so many fixes and so many researches on internet the conclusion is what you guys pointed out already: It’s a Android problem. In fact, the hardware GPS reception on Xperia M is very good really, blame the software for the issue.

After researching I found many people claiming that this problem started for updates after Android 4.1.2, or that it was working on 4.1.2 at least. Trying to solve this I crossflashed 4.1.2 firmware from Xperia M(C1904), on my Xperia M dual(C2004), and surprise! Now I got a efficient GPS, just like expected. By doing this I lose the dual SIM capability but have now a working GPS at least. (I did not find the 4.1.2 version for M dual)

I think that for now at least, the only solution is to downgrade to 4.1.2 or crossflash 4.1.2 from C1904 (or C1905 for C2005 phones).

It’s very suspicious how google is dealing with this, it’s really a lot of user complaints for a bug, for something that was working previously and now with issues, repeating across updates. The only conclusion I can end is that it’s something related to patent wars or programmed obsolescence. I start reading on internet already about same issues in KitKat.

So yeah, if you are able, downgrade to 4.1.2 (specifically in here is 15.1.A.1.9 that is working), and be (half), happy.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 24 of 48
Message 24 of 48

Just to mention too:

Prior to downgrading to 4.1.2 I tested with 4.2.2 and same issues. 4.3, same issues. It's not only about 4.3 but versions after 4.1.2, among various devices from different brands. Welcomo to the google world, there's nothing that Sony can do about it because it's a google problem. Well, they can return your money or stop selling phones with "gps capabilities" to keep their reputation.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 25 of 48
Message 25 of 48

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 26 of 48
Message 26 of 48

@Rodrigo_76 wrote:

Hello there,

I bought the Xperia M dual and yeah, the GPS issue is very disappointing. Im used to Garmim devices as well other Sony phones from the past (Xperia Mini Pro), and they were just perfect regarding to GPS. After trying so many fixes and so many researches on internet the conclusion is what you guys pointed out already: It’s a Android problem. In fact, the hardware GPS reception on Xperia M is very good really, blame the software for the issue.
After researching I found many people claiming that this problem started for updates after Android 4.1.2, or that it was working on 4.1.2 at least. Trying to solve this I crossflashed 4.1.2 firmware from Xperia M(C1904), on my Xperia M dual(C2004), and surprise! Now I got a efficient GPS, just like expected. By doing this I lose the dual SIM capability but have now a working GPS at least. (I did not find the 4.1.2 version for M dual) I think that for now at least, the only solution is to downgrade to 4.1.2 or crossflash 4.1.2 from C1904 (or C1905 for C2005 phones).

It’s very suspicious how google is dealing with this, it’s really a lot of user complaints for a bug, for something that was working previously and now with issues, repeating across updates. The only conclusion I can end is that it’s something related to patent wars or programmed obsolescence. I start reading on internet already about same issues in KitKat.
So yeah, if you are able, downgrade to 4.1.2 (specifically in here is 15.1.A.1.9 that is working), and be (half), happy.

Either that or try to upgrade to the CyanogenMod 11 alpha version of kitkat for the Xperia M ( http://www.xda-developers.com/android/functional-android-4-4-2-kitkat-arrives-on-the-sony-xperia-m  From what I've seen although kitkat does have some GPS issues they're nothing like as critical as the 'searching for GPS' one that plagues jellybean. The really crucial issue is whether Xperia M will be getting a bona fide Sony kitkat update, I mean the phone meets the minimum specs, a user on this forum says in one post ( http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-M-M-dual/Android-4-4/m-p/616855#M5147 that he's heard form Sony that they are going to offer the update and then says the opposite in another ( http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-M-M-dual/why-xperia-m-don-t-get-JB-4-3-or-kitkat-upgarde/m-p/66... . I was onto Sony chat support today and the agent said that there is no official information one way or another yet but it sort of looks like at the bottom of the Xperia M software page ( http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/software/phones/xperia-m  that there is space for antoehr update.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 27 of 48
Message 27 of 48

@twm wrote:

@MarekJuju wrote:

I think I've found a solution:

1. Latest software: 15.4.A.0.23

2. Turn on everything in Location Services

3. Use some app that constantly measures satellite signal strength (for example 'Satellite Check') thus preventing GPS signal loss

4. Open your fitness app after the signal stabilizes

I use it for mountain biking and last 4-5 rides everything's ok.

This is a hardware problem, GPS antenna is too weak...

I can confirm the method working also with Jellybean 4.1 as I now managed to track 50km successfully during cycling.

For people using the workaround I recommend "GPS Status" as it can run in the background and will trigger itself when gps is started by another app.

Make sure to enable communication when screen is turned off in app settings too.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 28 of 48
Message 28 of 48

As expect my phone has been returned with the GPS fault still evident, unfortunately the above workaround is not working for me, any other suggestions?
Highlighted
Adviser
Message 29 of 48
Message 29 of 48

Bend over and hope for kitkat like the rest of us
Highlighted
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 30 of 48
Message 30 of 48

In my Xperia M (Jelly Bean 4.3 (latest at these days) is the same problem with gps. Device can't detect my place on Google map. Everytime i must to restart my Xperia M, to check all points of location service (it's annoying to do that everytime) again and again and it is not sometime working for me, Sony MUST fix that as soon as possible to do that if they care their costumers.