account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

Mainline kernel support

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Mainline kernel support

It's been over a year since Sony announced work on the mainline kernel for open Xperia devices.  Where can I find information on the current status of mainline kernel support for each Xperia device?  The current platform functionality page does not mention the mainline kernel at all and only lists Android kernels.  I could only find devices trees in the mainline kernel for Yuga (Xperia Z) and Honami (Xperia Z1).  Are no other devices supported?

4 REPLIES 4
Developer World
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Mainline kernel support

Hi,

the mainline support can be checked in the mainline kernel by checking the dts files

Regards

Alin

Rookie
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Hi Alin,

Thanks for the reply.

In my experience, DTS files do not always tell the full story.  It is sometimes the case that support for hardware listed in the device tree may be incomplete or broken.  Would you be able to confirm that every item listed in the Xperia Z and Xperia Z1 has been tested and is fully working?

Furthermore, it's not always entirely clear what each item is.  Is there any publicly available hardware documentation that would allow me to identify each item listed in the DTS files?

No additional devices have been mainlined since the announcement of mainline work.  Is Sony still committed to this effort?

Developer World
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

unfortunately there is no public documentation for hardware and configuration:

You have 2 options

-use the kernel config for your device to get the BOM

-use the dts to understand how HW is configured and connected

For newer devices we are offering 4.4 kernel which is getting closer to the mainline frameworks

Regards

Alin

Rookie
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

There has recently been lits progress in mainline an the xperia z2 tablet  now works with GPU acceleration,bt, WiFi and display this should be possible to port  over to other msm8974 series devices, I would join ##linux-msm on freenode for more info. Tree is github.com/andersson/kernel (wip/castor-dsi branch) or linux-next (no display ATM here, just Anderson)