account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

Kernel 4.14 for Android 10

Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Kernel 4.14 for Android 10

Hi there!

I'm trying to flash Android 10 on my Xperia X device and have a few questions:

In your official ASOP build guide (https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/guides/aosp-build-instructions/build-aosp-android-an...) there is the following note:

"Note: These repos include a precompiled kernel."

This does not seem to be true for Android 10 with 4.14, since the repo doesn't contain the pre-built images: https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/kernel-sony-msm-4.14-common

The command "make -j4" fails with the following message:

FAILED: ninja: 'kernel/sony/msm-4.14/common-kernel/kernel-dtb-suzu', needed by 'out/target/product/suzu/kernel', missing and no known rule to make it

When will you push the new kernels? In the meantime, what steps do I have to take to compile the kernel myself?

Thanks,
Jay

P.S.: please create a category for Android 10 in the forum Slightly smiling Face

5 REPLIES 5
Learner
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Kernel 4.14 for Android 10

Learner
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

I was able to build the kernel by:

1) Follow the AOSP 10 guide for setup through the lunch command.

2) cd kernel/sony/msm-4.14/common-kernel

3) ./build-kernels-gcc.sh (or build-kernels-clang.sh if you're using clang)

This seemed to build the missing kernels and satisified the root build error for me.

Edit: I'm interested in why the kernels didn't automatically build like they do for AOSP 9 when the prebuilts are missing...

Learner
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Any success with the custom kernel build for suzu? Mine builds ok but the phone does not boot beyond the white sony screen. The sony-provided kernel is still missing in the repo.

Cheers!

Learner
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

No, I didn't try it yet. Seems we should wait for the official suzu kernel builds in the GitHub repo.