account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

xperia xz1 compact boot sequence

Apprentice
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

xperia xz1 compact boot sequence

Hi,

I'm the owner of a new XZ1 compact.

Now I built a dev env via buildroot and a kernel coming from github/sonyxperiadev/kernel.

The documentation says that I have to choose the right mmcblk partition number.

On adb shell I had a look to the current setup and it looks like there is only one partition but the android boot does any kind of magic at boottime.

Could you tell me which blockdevice is behind the system partition?

An additional information. I would expect that a developer friendly device provides any way for debugging e.g. through audio jack or usb but opening the device is not an option.

It's very hard to get anything running on that device without seeing any output.

As for now it looks like my boot.img containing the rootfs.cpio is coming up and fails to mount rootfs therefore it reboots.

Regards crito

6 REPLIES 6
Developer World
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: xperia xz1 compact boot sequence

Hi,

The XZ1 devices are suported by our build guide and you can get adb from the device over usb or WiFi if you do not need the serial console

Regards

Alin

Apprentice
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

I know. I already have AOSP running on it.

What I need is a way to debug the kernel.

I want to boot the dev env built via buildroot and want to get a newer kernel running.

Unfortunately the screen will be black when I boot the kernel from sonyxperiadev/kernel with a buildroot embedded linux.

adbd isn't available at this time.

regards matze

Developer World
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

to build an  new boot.image is enough to choose the device from the android target build list and type make bootimage

Regards

Alin

Apprentice
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

ok once again.

I don't have trouble building and booting an AOSP image.

I created a dev environment followed these instructions.

And I compiled the kernel followed these instructions (manually building 64bit kernel [sonyxperia kernel]).

Booting this image ends in a black screen. I cannot see if it ends in a kernel panic or whatever.

Now I have 2 possibilities:

* break the case of a very expensive device to get access to UART

* you are able to tell me what I am missing (e.g. kernel argumentsline, firmware...)

Highlighted
Developer World
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

Unfortunately the only way to access the serial port is to open the device but....

You have the other option to debug - pstore:

1. flash an aosp recovery image with a working kernel to the recovery partition

2. to flash your new kernel on the main partition and boot

After your new kernel crashes keep volume down pressed and you will boot the working kernel from the recovery partition. From recovery you have access to adb and you can extract the logs from pstore

Regards

Alin

Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7