account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

Xperia XZ2 Compact Camera Issues

Learner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Xperia XZ2 Compact Camera Issues

Hi, my phone keeps taking photos with circles left in them. It happens when taking photos in bright sunlight. None of my previous phones were doing this. As I do lot of hillwalking, it quite annoyes me. I am using the default camera without any tweaks. Any idea how to make the camera stop doing this ?

https://i.imgur.com/xhtF9mv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1AfAKGw.jpg

DSC_09071.JPGDSC_09091.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Emperor
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Xperia XZ2 Compact Camera Issues

@DavidAsUsual 

are you using a protective case film or glass ? it might be causing this, also if you take pictures directly to a bright light source it will create this flares, don't forget to clean the lens 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

this did not cross my mind, yes, I am using a protective clear gel case, thanks for the tip, I'm going to test it

Emperor
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Keep us updated

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

I've been out today again taking fotos in bright sunlight, this time without the protective case and the circles are still there, does anybody else have the same issue with this phone ? or any suggestion what to do with it ?

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

If the lense is completely clean, this looks like an internal hardware issue. I think only the Support can help you here

Learner
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

I've found out it¨s a lense flare. Some phones have it, first google Pixel had serious issues with this. I found other people with this phone mention the same problem. It can be avoided by shielding the camera lense from the direct sunlight by your hand. Just have to be careful so that the hand does not end up on the photo too. This does not work however when the sun itself is part of the foto as you can't cover it with your hand.

I got the phone off ebay in auction as a previously used, so I do not think Sony can do anything for me in this regard.

I've since tried Google Pixel 3a and although it makes captures skies beautifuly, I still like the XZ2 photos more.