account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

What exactly does the -eng buildtype contain?

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

What exactly does the -eng buildtype contain?

Hi there,

thanks to the OpenDevice Program me, a lot of friends and almost all my family members, own an Xperia Device.

Right now i own an Z, Z4 (Z3+), and an XZ, of course with AOSP.

I always rooted my devices with SuperSU, but now comes the tricky question.

When running the "lunch" right before the build, i never used the -eng buildtype because i don't need any development stuff or similar stuff on my phone, but do i have root access when i use -eng?

The original android source contians three build types

user --> Normal AOSP without root

userdebug --> Same as user but with root access and some debug tools

eng --> Development setup with lot of tools and stuff meant for developing on android

Why is there no userdebug when i build AOSP for my Xperia Devices and what are the exact changes between the normal build and the -eng build?

1 REPLY 1
Developer World
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Re: What exactly does the -eng buildtype contain?

Hi,

Open Devices is intended for development andwe provide for all devices eng and userdebug builds

There is no user build since this is not a consumer oriented software. Unless you need heavy logging you should not use the userdebug variant.

Regards

Alin