account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Theme Creator forum. 

If you have a question, search the forum to see if the answer is already available, or post your question or comment in a new thread.

Text colors and app backgrounds

Regular
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Text colors and app backgrounds

Apologies if this is an elementary question, but can one change the color of text and the backgrounds of system apps? For example, is it possible to invert the colors of Settings, Contacts, or Dialer with white text on a black background? If so, where would those elements be?
11 REPLIES 11
Emperor
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: Text colors and app backgrounds

It doesn't seem to be an option

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

DBS
Regular
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

I guess this is what you're asking if you can do? If so, well, YES! You can do that.

I've still to find out how to tweak the letters and make them lighter though. More than half the options on the program show as blocked/not available.

Screenshot_2015-03-02-22-58-58.png

Regular
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Ahh okay, I got that much to work. Font color remains elusive though. How did you manage to change the navbar background color? All of my attempts to change it result in the 'blue X red box' error. Happens with a lot of other elements too...

DBS
Regular
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

Hmm I simply changed "light" background colour on the Navigaton bar to black.

I'm still figuring out what works as a ton of options in the program are still locked. And the fact that it only works with PhotoShop and not other photo editors (I use and prefer Corel's PaintShop Pro) isn't helping.

Developer World
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

Whenever you see a “blue X red box”, it means the tool was not able to load the image properly. Usually it's due to invalid nine-patch borders, e.g. bec of semi-transparent pixel into the border or somehow you managed to move the slices when exporting.

Font colours can only be changed for apps that can/allow that to be changed.

If the tool doesn't allow you to change it, then you can't "theme it".

I think the easiest way right now would be to open up the template files and check out what elements are available for you to change and then follow the instructions from https://developer.sony.com/develop/smartphones-and-tablets/theme-creator/how-to-create-a-theme/ to export your changes from Photoshop for the tool to compile it.

Regular
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

Oh so all of those black 1 pixel wide lines on most of the elements are the nine patch borders? And any changes to then besides being #FFFFFF black would result in errors?

Shame about the fonts. I'm on an unrootable device so that also limits my options.
Developer World
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

You should read up about 9-patch from the Android developers documentation: http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/graphics/2d-graphics.html#nine-patch because you need to know it to be able to work effectively to work with graphics for Android devices.

It's also stated in the pre-requisites section on the Theme Creator tool webpage that you need to know about 9-patch: https://developer.sony.com/develop/smartphones-and-tablets/theme-creator/overview-of-theme-creator/

Regular
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

Oops didn't see that, thanks.
DBS
Regular
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

There are ways to change the text colour I think, even within the program. They just all show greyed out to me.

I use Corel PaintShop Pro for imaging work, not Photoshop, so I will not be able to mess as I wished with these. I'm not paying the absurdity PhotoShop asks when I prefer PaintShop. Hopefully Sony will open this up to further editors as I don't think everyone will be using photoshop.