account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

Do Xperia Services work with unlocked bootloader?

Highlighted
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

Do Xperia Services work with unlocked bootloader?

After unlocking the bootloader and flashing a stock ROM, anything that requires me to sign in to an Xperia service does not work. Do other people with an unlocked bootloader have the same problem or did something go wrong for me?

My device is a Z5 Compact.

Examples:

- When I try to add my Xperia account to the device, it says "Could not activate Xperia services. Could not retrieve account information. Try again later."
- I get the same message when logging into Xperia services in the "Xperia Lounge" app.
- The "Backup and Restore" app fails to sign in to Sony Online Backup with my Google account.
- The "Backup and sync" option in Xperia keyboard options does not work. It fails to sign in with my Google account.
- The "What's New" app says "No network connection".

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Re: Do Xperia Services work with unlocked bootloader?

@carlcarlson123

When you unlock your bootloader, you lose your DRM keys. This means you'll not be able to use any of Sony's services including Backup and restore, Software updates, Lounge, and What's New. You also lose your warranty (if active).

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.