account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

Building aosp 5.1 for SPG511(Castor_Windy)

Adviser
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Building aosp 5.1 for SPG511(Castor_Windy)

here is my problem, on git sony only has castor, the LTE version but i want to build an aosp based rom for the wifi version, are they the same? do i need to change something after i pull the repo in order to avoid hard break?

note that i never build a rom officially so please expand on your awnsers and if a sony employe can awnser also i will be greatfull 

9 REPLIES 9
Emperor
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Building aosp 5.1 for SPG511(Castor_Windy)

Is or was your phone locked to a carrier/network branded? if it is, most likely the bootloader can't be unlocked.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Access the service menu 

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-arc-Xperia-arc-S/Service-Menu-on-2-3/m-p/80338/highlight/true#M...

and check 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

1st, SPG511 is a tablet, second of cource i'm unlocked and 3rd i asked help compiling the aosp 5.1 rom not unlock

Emperor
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

My bad, here you go 

http://developer.sonymobile.com/knowledge-base/open-source/open-devices/aosp-build-instructions/

Adviser
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Read my post again, they don't have a tree for the wifi model, they only have for the LTE model(castor, SPG521).....

Highlighted
Developer World
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

hi

all you need to create a windy device repo is to copy castor git and replace kernel and dtb files with windy specific ones

kernel git already has support for windy devices

br

Alin

Adviser
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

thanks so much for replying, so i fork both and compile but what is dtb?

Adviser
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

ok found the instructions but this says the kernel is unified so shouldn't be already build? 

Adviser
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

The Kernel is unified, there is 1 kernel repo for many devices, but for the kernel to work with a specific device it still needs to get compiled specifically for that device, as a different defconfig needs to get called (defconfig lists what of the kernel tree gets compiled e.g. the drivers for the touchscreen). As the castor and castor_windy are pretty similar to each other there would theoretically not much issues with flashing the castor kernel on castor_windy, however DO NOT DO THIS! (I can flash Z2 Kernel on my Z3, only thing not working is touchscreen as the devices have a different touchdriver). DTB is a part of the boot.img, but actually you could also just compile the the kernel inline, this would make it easier for you. To do this you need to download the kernel repo, change the defconfig name in the device tree, and add the flag "BUILD_KERNEL := true" to one of the makefiles (For better organization I'd add it to the makefile which also link to the defconfig)