account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

Beginner questions

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Beginner questions

Hi,

I have just bought a Sony Xperia X because of Sony Open Device initiative.

I am clearly a beginner in Android development but I have some experience in firmware development.

I have some basic questions (I have searched before the answers on this forum and xda-dev).

Sorry in advance if answers already exist.

I am interested in replacing Sony stock rom with Google apps by Sony AOSP.

- Where can I find Sony AOSP binary ?
If not available, I have found information at https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/guides/aosp-build-instructions/build-aosp-nougat-8-1... how to build it.

- What is contained in Software binaries for AOSP Oreo (Android 8.1) – Kernel 4.4 – Loire (SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android_8.1.6.4_r1_v15_loire.img) ? Only Sony kernel ? or is this flash vendor image ?

- What is Open source archive for 43.0.A.5.80 ? Complete Sony AOSP source code with kernel ?

Is it the same as AOSP tree described in https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/guides/aosp-build-instructions/build-aosp-nougat-8-1... ?

Thanks.

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Developer World
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Re: Beginner questions

Hi,

the kernel copylefts are containing the OSS code releated to a specific Sony official SW release and they should not be used in AOSP as they are.

The generic AOSP documentation is available from Google.

Regards

Alin

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

1) unless somebody provides you theirs builts you need to build it by yourself according to the guide

2) provided is vendor image, i.e. something that should be fully working system for your phone, with basic apps only (call, contacts, email, gallery,.... applications)

3) I assume those are old versions of AOSP, but I'm not sure about that. (It may also be part of the stock system on phones that needs to be released because of licenses. I don't know if there are differences between AOSP though)

Developer World
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

1.The build guide teaches you howto build yourseld the Android images

2. vendor binaries are libraries and services that are not open source and must be flashed on the phone to get a working device.

3 . the copylefts reprezent the Open Source code for the Sony software releases. Please do not mix those with the Open Devices code.

Regards

Alin

Learner
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Thanks both of you for your answers !

So, I shall build my own AOSP following the build instructions provided and take the latest corresponding Software binaries for AOSP (SW_binaries_for_Xperia_Android...img) available for step 7 (Flash vendor image to your device).

Is copyleft related to Sony Linux kernel (https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/guides/kernel-compilation-guides/how-to-build-and-fl...) ?

Finally, where can I find more formal information regarding all this ?
Meaning all this information is related to any Android AOSP mobile phone implementation ?

Kind regards

Developer World
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

the kernel copylefts are containing the OSS code releated to a specific Sony official SW release and they should not be used in AOSP as they are.

The generic AOSP documentation is available from Google.

Regards

Alin