account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welcome to the Open Devices community!

This is where we discuss open source and development related questions on our Open Devices initiative.

AOSP 5.1.1 (FXP) Short Review

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 1 of 1
Message 1 of 1

AOSP 5.1.1 (FXP) Short Review

THIS POST HAS BEEN UPDATED ON MAY 6TH, AND THE CURRENT BUILD USED IS 20150506

This is a short review of FXP's AOSP build (April 25th) running on the Xperia Z Ultra C6833 (Togari) with a Snapdragon 800 CPU (2.15 GHz), Adreno 330 (450MHz) and 2 GB RAM. 

I have used it continuously for around 48 hours now and these are my impressions thus far. I want to highlight both pros and cons of the current build. 

THE GOOD:

Let's start with performance. It's snappy and probably one of the fastest ROMs out there for the Togari at the moment, and I have no real issues with it. I do get some of the typical Android lag here and there when the device is under heavy load, but that's pretty much expected at this stage. Booting is ridiculously quick and isn't in the same league as the older Android versions. It's impressive. 

Memory management. Pretty much everyone out there with some interest in Android knows that Lollipop 5.0 and 5.0.2 have/had some serious issues with memory management resulting in apps getting killed by the system, and in worst case experiencing the whole system crashing. 40+ memory leaks allegedly got patched in 5.1 (with one "critical" leak left that some devices may experience), and it shows. The typical 5.0/5.0.2 system RAM usage will start at 6-700 MB after a reboot, which doesn't sound that bad, but it gets much worse when it starts growing uncontrollably above 1 GB. But a 2 GB device should still have enough for multitasking? Nope. The system will start killing apps for no reason, and what you end up with is a pretty much unusable smartphone, until you reboot - which you'll have to do pretty much every day.

The FXP AOSP build does memory management right, and is the only one to do so. Right off a fresh boot it'll use 2-300 MB of RAM, which seems like a much more friendlier amount, and the best part is that it'll actually keep itself at those levels, only growing to around 400 MB at worst, but it'll decrease again (like it should), and again settle at 2-300 MB. This makes the FXP 5.1 build fantastic to multitask with, and I can - for the first time ever, open Chrome, press the home button, do other stuff, come back again after 24 hours, and Chrome will probably still be open. This doesn't even happen on KitKat. This makes the whole experience super fluid and quick, and you'll never have to wait for something to reload or relaunch. Couple this with Chainfire's "Recently" app (with only actual running apps showing up in the recent list), everything gets much much better. I have no complaints.  

Stability. The build is at the point where it's functional as a daily driver and most things work. There are some issues though, which I'll go into a little further down. Memory management is pretty much perfect as mentioned, making it pretty stable, but being in development, it experiences some weird glitches and bugs. Useable on a daily basis? Absolutely. 

THE "BAD":

First, the things that do not work at the moment - or are broken:

(Note: Some of these are restricted to the Togari)

1. Camera
  2. LED Notification light doesn't blink. 
  3. YouTube videos have a green tint, aka "Hulk syndrome" (local videos and streams through a thirdparty player works fine though) 
  4. Headset button input doesn't work

UPDATED: Battery life isn't the best right now. I'm sure there are some tweaks to be done, but I'm personally getting "meh" battery. It's not bad, but it's also not great. I usually get 4-6 hours of screen-on time per charge, but I'm getting around 3 hours on this ROM. The reason for that might be what I discovered earlier today.

I have to run it for a longer period now to see if battery life is better on the latest build. It would be wrong to conclude that the battery life is the same as several weeks back. I'll update again when I have some proper data.

The Togari has 4 cores. They do operate as they should, but two of the cores (1 and 2) do not go into an Idle state until after roughly 10 minutes, flactuating between 300 MHz and 1299 MHz between those two before going into a deep sleep state (before starting up again at some point? I'm not sure), and on top of that, apps like Facebook Messenger will trigger some wakelocks, causing more drain. I normally lose everything between 0.1 to 1% battery per hour on other builds, but I'm losing around 3-5% per hour on the FXP AOSP 5.1 ROM. Why? Probably because of the behaviour of the cores, but I'm far from experienced enough to tell if this is indeed true or not. 

Another issue is the GPU which looks to be throttled at 200 MHz, which should be able to go to 450 MHz on the Togari, making pretty much every game out there (and especially Minecraft and Fieldrunners 2) to lag. Minecraft is running great on KitKat with everything set to max, but it's not playable right now on 5.1, nor is Fieldrunners 2 which has a weird type of lag. It'll lag and hang for half a second every two-three seconds. In short, games aren't really playable right now. 

UPDATE MAY 6TH: Games are now playing well again, and Minecraft and other big games are running properly. 

Stability. I experienced two reboots after browing the web and Vine especially (in Chrome Beta). Chrome froze completely the first time causing the whole system to crash, which resulted in a reboot. Once rebooted and opening Chrome again, I went back to Vine to see if it would happen again. It did. The system froze completely, but it didn't reboot this time. I had to do it myself. I'm guessing that Chrome should crash here and not the enitire OS. 

UPDATE MAY 6TH: Stability issues have been resolved, and we shouldn't experience any stability issues out of the norm

OVERALL:

I'm quite happy with the current state of FXP AOSP 5.1 on the Togari. Things work, but being in a beta-ish state right now it's expected that things break, but that doesn't make me leave it and go back to the safe haven that is KitKat. I think that the lightness and speed of it is worth the occational hickup and crash. I would however wait a bit to flash it if you're not sure what you're getting into. You may think "ermahgerd arndorid 5.1" and flash away, and then experience issues. Wait. It's not quite ready for the general public yet, and you're safer being at whatever ROM you're on right now. 

It's fantastic thus far, though, and it'll only get better. 

Be sure to ask me if you have some questions. 

UPDATE MAY 6TH: Crashes and "hickups" are now fixed, and everything is, and should, run properly.