account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free up storage in your device! Guide for Android Nougat & Marshmallow

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 1 of 1
Message 1 of 1

Free up storage in your device! Guide for Android Nougat & Marshmallow

Hi fellow users!

One of the more commonly asked questions around here are something along the lines of "How may I free up memory on my device?", so I felt a guide was in place! I will focus this guide on the Android 6/7 versions, but the advice applies to previous Android versions such as Android 5 as well.

Let's start by navigating to the main menu for information on Storage, we do so by starting the Settings app > Tap Storage. From this menu, we can find out a lot of information regarding both the Internal storage as well as the memory available on the SD card, but also perform actions to free up space. Below is an image illustration on how to navigate to the menu:
homescreen.jpgmenu storage.jpginternal storage + other.jpgtransfer data to sd card.jpg

Once you've entered the menu, you'll be presented with a few options. You may proceed by tapping on "Internal shared storage" in order to reach an overview of the data stored internally on your device - we will take according action based on the data presented to us here.

However, before venturing in to the Internal shared storage section, it may be wise that we simply start off by tapping the "Transfer data to SD card" option as this is very useful if we have an SD card available. The sole purpose of an SD card is to store data on it, so let's have a look at the data which we can transfer! Tick the boxes of the data you would like to transfer and initiate the transfer by tapping "TRANSFER".

Once you've done so, let's proceed with the option "Internal shared storage" to see what the situation looks like on our internal storage. As an example, if we notice that "Cache" is a large contributor to our storage being filled up, it could be wise to tap on it and choose to clear all cached data by confirming with the "OK" option.

Note that this (along with other actions taken in this guide) will delete data stored on your device - don't choose to clear data unless you are OK with it being deleted.
internal shared storage.jpgclear cached data.jpg

Proceed to follow the same principle as we did above with Cache, but for all the other categories which take up a lot of storage as well. 

The main reason for devices getting filled with data is in my experience due to apps. Our Xperia devices come with a few pre-installed apps which in most cases can not be installed - and in addition to that we install a lot of third party apps available from the Google Play Store (among other sources).

My recommended course of action is to have a look at the apps which you have installed from time to time and ask yourself - do I need this, do I use this and ultimately - can I uninstall this? 

Go to the Settings app and tap "Apps", here we will be presented with an overview of the apps installed on our device. I usually start by uninstalling third party apps which I no longer use but have forgotten to install. In order to do so, simply tap the app once and tap "Uninstall".
uninstall.jpgclear data cache.jpg

If you do not wish to completely uninstall the app, for example if you plan on using it later, it could be enough to simply clear the data and cache stored for the app by tapping "Storage" and "CLEAR DATA"/"CLEAR CACHE". As I mentioned previously, please note that your data stored by the app will be lost and unless it's backed up elsewhere (for example online by the app itself) you will not be able to retrieve the data.

We are now reaching the home stretch of the guide, but one major bandit when it comes to data is update files for apps. This is especially true for pre-installed apps which you may not use - but they could still be updated and therefore sit and take up internal storage. Let's start off by uninstalling them in the same menu as we found the "Uninstall" option for third party apps - but this time it will say "Uninstall updates". This will in turn make the app revert to the factory version.

Once you have gone through the list of apps and uninstalled updates for them, let's prevent the same from occurring again by disabling automatic app updates. In order to do so, start the Google Play Store app and tap Menu (3 lines in the top left) and then tap "Settings". Now tap on "Auto-update apps" and choose "Do not auto-update apps".
play 2.jpgplay3.jpg

That's it for now friends! If you happen to have some good ideas on what I could add to the guide, feel free to PM me the suggestion! smile happy

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.