Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.
It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.
Welcome to Sony's Xperia™ in Business forum!
We discuss business related questions and share experiences of Sony smartphones and tablets at work
Click here to get the latest White Papers and information about business features and services.
2016-01-11 09:15 AM
Hi and thanks for your reply.
We're running on Exchange. And I've tried both with and without WiFi, so no difference there.
2016-01-11 09:22 AM
Would it be possible for you to try if the same thing happens with another account on this server?
2016-01-11 10:25 AM - edited 2016-01-11 12:08 PM
Thanks for putting me in the 'spotlight'. I've now found the problem, and it's only about 40 cm from my screen..:-)
After the latest update the APN was changed back to deafault(which happens all the time, I know), and I had forgotten change the APN
So there are no issues with the System update, with regards to this issue.
2016-01-11 02:18 PM
2016-03-19 12:14 PM
2016-03-22 11:29 AM
APN is the internet settings for the mobile operator you use. You can find them under Settings -> More -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names. If you are unsure if you have the correct settings here, please contact the mobile operator you use to make sure you have correct settings.
a month ago
This is a shame for Sony, no one is replying??!!! Why we need to know what's the solution??
I've tried to delete the account, restart the phone, and then recreate the account - but i only get the message unable to contact the server.
2 weeks ago - last edited Thursday
Not closely related to the issue, but it solved my very similar problem with contacts sync:
Contact option was not listed in Android's (v.6.0.1, Marshmallow) Settings / Accounts / Google sync menu.The problem was that the Contacts Sync application had no access right to my contacts.
To fix this, I switched the Settings / Apps / Gear icon / App permissions / Contacts / Google Contacts Sync toggle.After that it started to sync, but I got the same 'Sync is currently experiencing problems'.
It turned out that I exceeded the Google API call limit for the day, so after 24 hours it synced successfully.
To figure out what the problem exactly was I connected my phone through USB to my PC, enabled debugging on the phone, used the adb logcat command from the Android SDK and examined the errors/exceptions in that log. This way you can get to the bottom of your calendar issue as well.