account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

No auto sync with Gmail on Xperia Z2 after lollipop update

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 18
Message 1 of 18

No auto sync with Gmail on Xperia Z2 after lollipop update

Hi all,

was quite happy with lollipop update on my xperia Z2 until I figured that Gmail doesn't sync automatically anymore. Tested by sending e-mails from different accounts, no notification, no vibration or sound, also gmail doesn't indicate new e-mail until I wipe down for refresh. Disabled Stamina and other power save options, no improvement. Do not disturb is disabled (at least I guess as I haven't figured out yet how it works).

Anyone observing same issue? Please help!

Thanks

Elmar

17 REPLIES 17
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 18
Message 2 of 18

Update: Calendar changes from laptop also don't sync automatically

Seems as if my google account isn't syncing at all.

Any ideas?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 18
Message 3 of 18

Re: Update: Calendar changes from laptop also don't sync automatically

First check so that auto sync is enabled under Settings -> Accounts -> [menu]. Then tap Google in this menu, your email address and check so that you have enabled what you want to synchronize.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 18
Message 4 of 18

Thanks for your reply, those steps I already tried several times. Also disabled and re-enabled Auto-sync data from pull-down menu on start screen which seemed to enable gmail sync but calendar still didn't. After reboot again same issue google not syncing at all.

Is there a way to reset google account? Google account deleted and reconnected. Issue still there.

Anything else I could do?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 18
Message 5 of 18

Internet seems to be working without issues in your phone?

What if you disable and then enable "Sync calendar"? Does it update "Last synced" without errors?

One thing you can try is to remove the Google account in the phone and then add it again.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 18
Message 6 of 18

I was too slow in replying.

Internet seems to work. I did remove the google account and added it again. Issue still there.

Disable then enable calendar sync completes the sync without errors. So "manual" sync works...

I have that strange feeling it's something else. But what? I have stamina mode enabled but should only be activated if battery is below 15%. Anything I need to be careful with?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 18
Message 7 of 18

Have you tried this on both WiFi and mobile data? Have you perhaps restricted background data for any apps under Settings -> Data usage?

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 18
Message 8 of 18

yes same both on WiFi and mobile data.

Strange enough I went into Gmail app and went to Settings -> /my account/ -> Manage labels, there I had e.g. "Primary" Sync set to Last 30 days but "All emails" was set to Not synced. Does this have to be on? Pretty sure I didn't change this during the update to lollipop.

Last thing that comes to my mind: I received lollipop update during vacation with data roaming off. Does that ring a bell?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 18
Message 9 of 18

I have "All emails" set to "Not synced" as well. I have "Inbox" set to sync last 30 days and push works fine here. As you also have issues with the calendar there must be something else causing this.

I can't think of any other settings that could cause this and how you performed the update should not matter.

Is it only sync that's not working? What happens if you for example try to install an app to your phone from a computer and play.google.com? Does the phone install the app automatically? Does push work for other services (for example Facebook Messenger)?

Could you also test this in safe mode? Tap and hold "Power off" to restart in safe mode.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 18
Message 10 of 18

started in safe mode, issue still there.

After restarting in normal mode I constantly got a crashing xperia home. Now restarted in save mode again to remove the widgets which didn't come back after normal restart. Crashing resolved but sync still not.

Out of ideas.

Should I do the repair thing or reset the phone?