account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Could not open connection to server

Jvz
One time poster
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Could not open connection to server

I cannot see messages from my email. I've got a message that I could not open connection to the server.

14 REPLIES 14
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Re: Could not open connection to server

Hi @Jvz,

Welcome to the community,

Sorry to hear about this, in most cases this error message generally means that you have no active internet connection or the password has been changed on the account.

Can you advise what model of handset you are using, what type of email you are using and if you are using Wifi or Network data to access emails?

Please let me know.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

Can not open my mails from my Sony Xperia
Visitor
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

Xperia x, hotmail 3 network
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

@Kofi11 wrote:
Xperia x, hotmail 3 network

Ugh

Ok

I said to myself if there's another Microsoft related post, I'll make a write up for 3 of the most common hosts

GMail, Microsoft and Yahoo

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
One time poster
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

Just purchased Xpeia a week ago at Best Buy on line.  Everything was fine till last night.

I can't receive hotmail. Says " Could not open communication server" since last night.

I can still send e-mail using hotmail . G-mail works fine. I can receive check hotmail using my PC as normal. 

My home wifi connection is fine. I tried at my work , wifi is fine, still can't receive e-mail on Xperia and same " Could not open communication server" appear.

One time poster
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

Also having problems with my Xperia Z5 compact with my @outlook.com email account. Only solution I've found is to delete account and create the same account again but I don't think that I should be doing this twice every week. Still my exchange account works fine... How can I solve this issue?
Learner
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

I've been getting this same error on my Hotmail.co.uk account (Z5 on O2) for a month or so now.  The only solution I have found is to delete and add the account again, which is a huge pain as it means getting a new app password each time and then it only lasts about 2 days before manifesting again.  

All my other email accounts are functioning fine in the Sony mail app (1 Exchange, 2 O365 and an independent IMAP account) and and in Gmail. It's only the Hotmail.co.uk account that's impacted it seems. 

Frankly, looking forward to dumping this phone after all the grief I've had from it, but keen to understand the root cause anyway.

Highlighted
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

@funkymonkies wrote:

I've been getting this same error on my Hotmail.co.uk account (Z5 on O2) for a month or so now.  The only solution I have found is to delete and add the account again, which is a huge pain as it means getting a new app password each time and then it only lasts about 2 days before manifesting again.  

All my other email accounts are functioning fine in the Sony mail app (1 Exchange, 2 O365 and an independent IMAP account) and and in Gmail. It's only the Hotmail.co.uk account that's impacted it seems. 

Frankly, looking forward to dumping this phone after all the grief I've had from it, but keen to understand the root cause anyway.

2fa functioning correctly shouldn't trigger a password request when it falls

Complain to Microsoft and see if there's something weird happening with the uk domain 

I've been using my app password from lollipop and getting it to persist through root recoveries and app restores

I know there's a time limit you can restrict devices with using 2fa/app password,  check if something like that has been activated by mistake 

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
One time poster
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

Hi!

I have a Sony Xperia Z3, I live in Sweden and I have been unable to receive e-mails for the past few days. I can send e-mails from my phone, but whenever I try to access new or old e-mails I am greeted by the message "Could not open connection to server".

Any advice?