account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia Z5 Premium - 25fps video recording

Learner
Message 1 of 35
Message 1 of 35

Xperia Z5 Premium - 25fps video recording

Hi,

I'm probably making a fool out of myself but I can't find any info on how to change the framerate of recorded movies from 30fps to 25 fps - you know, PAL system for entire Europe? What's even more interesting I cannot find a single mention of anyone asking this question or anyone saying the Z5 is capable of recording 25fps.

Is it possible that the Z5 series records ONLY 30 or 60 fps movies????

34 REPLIES 34
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 35
Message 2 of 35

Re: Xperia Z5 Premium - 25fps video recording

Hi @kaczorefx,

Welcome to the community.

It is not possible to record at 25fps by default on your Xperia handset. It may be possible with third party apps, I am not aware of any though, or using video editing software.

It shouldn't matter unless you are trying to watch the content on a CRT television though. If you have a TV from the last ~10 years they will support 30fps and 60fps.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 35
Message 3 of 35

Really??

That's probably the first video recording device I have ever seen to not offer 25fps recording?!?!? Even old analog camcorders gave you an option to choose between PAL and NTSC.

The problem is that you cannot intercut this footage with any other footage you've got - clips recorded by your friends using smartphones, gopros or even webcams.

What do you mean TVs support this framerate?? Played from what source - a usb stick?? Most setups will be fixed with a refresh rate of 48 or 50 fps, be it a bluray player, media player or a pc connected via hdmi - that's because all movies and tv shows now are 24 or 25 fps - if you don't match that you will see stutter during viewing this footage. The device doesn't negotiate a new video format with the tv screen just because you launched a 30fps file! 30 fps is acceptable in the US and probably Japan since they come from NTSC and still have HD content broadcasted in 30fps - but what about the rest of the world???

Is there an official feature request for Xperia phones so that we can ask for it in new firmware? I mean it's so basic that the cpu Z5s are running on supports these framerates from the get go, it's only missing in the camera software Slightly frowning Face

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 35
Message 4 of 35

@kaczorefx,

I too am in a PAL territory and our devices run at 60fps/60Hz, I was not aware it was different in other countries.

Our developers do check these forums so simply by posting here your request is placed Slightly smiling Face I cannot guarantee if or when this functionality may be added though.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 5 of 35
Message 5 of 35

If you are in PAL territory I guarantee all your tv broadcasts, your DVDs, BluRays run in 25P or 50i.

It's true some consumer cameras will default to 30fps right out of the box (most are made for US market), but you always have a way to set them to run in PAL mode - so 25 fps. Basically in PAL regions, which is over half of the world,  you can't use anything recorded in 30fps in commercial use, especially if it's going to be broadcasted, as there is actually no way to convert 30fps to 25fps withought introducing new problems to the footage Slightly frowning Face

I work in TV/Cinema post production and it's a real bummer for me, since overall the 4k recordings from my Z5 Premium are pretty good, could easily use them for commercial projects, just like we use GoPros for example - the image quality is there, it's just the proper format that's missing Slightly frowning Face

Anyway thanks for your time, fingers crossed for someone from the developers to get this and spend probably an hour or so to implement this Winking Face

One time poster
Message 6 of 35
Message 6 of 35

I completely agree with kaczorefx even though I use a z5c. I rly need 25fps recording to mix it with my other 25 and 50fps footage!

Message 7 of 35
Message 7 of 35

If Sony sells its smartphones in countries with the PAL system, they should allow consumers the right to choose the standard PAL (50 frames per second, 25 frames per second) in the purchased devices. Otherwise, it is necessary to prohibit the sale of NTSC equipment in regions with the PAL system. I ran into this problem in the Xperia X Compact.
Sony, please give an official answer, why do you violate our rights and when will Europeans see the addition to the smartphone of options for video recording in the PAL system?

One time poster
Message 8 of 35
Message 8 of 35

Is it even 30fps?

I've thrown the footage taken on my XZ Premium into After Effects and tried to render to H264 MP4.

It throws up a mismatch with the codec render settings. It says something like.

"Frame rate mismatch, Footage frame rate of 29.998 fps will be rendered out at 30fps. Audio timings will cause lip sync problems."

And they did, by the end of a 60second video the audio was out by about a second.

I can render out to a QT movie file but H264 is loads easier, oh why do they have this odd 29.998 frame rate???

Message 9 of 35
Message 9 of 35

Re: Video recording in PAL system

Dear technical support staff. I did not see any answer from you. If you do not have information on this issue, then why are you here?
Has PAL mode been added to smartphones purchased earlier in Europe and Russia? Does the hardware support the PAL system?

Emperor
Message 10 of 35
Message 10 of 35

Re: Video recording in PAL system

@1-32859258559

This is a global user based forum, if you want to contact Sony directly >>> Local support

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)