account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Xperia Z5 Premium - 25fps video recording

Message 11 of 36
Message 11 of 36

Re: Video recording in PAL system

A long time passed, but no response from Sony's technical support was received. It seems that Sony does not want to talk. Users of smartphones from Europe were simply deceived. In the end, it's more profitable to produce smartphones with one NTSC recording system for all regions of the world than smartphones with different video recording systems (PAL and NTSC)
Perhaps the software can not solve the problem. Sorry, I was disappointed by this approach of a solid company.

Message 12 of 36
Message 12 of 36

Re: Video recording in PAL system

Local support did not help. They can not answer a clear question in writing. They send either to this forum, or they are asked to call the toll-free number. If they are not technical experts, Sony should replace them.

Message 13 of 36
Message 13 of 36

Re: Xperia Z5 Premium - 25fps video recording

@Rhombeus wrote:

Is it even 30fps?

I've thrown the footage taken on my XZ Premium into After Effects and tried to render to H264 MP4.

It throws up a mismatch with the codec render settings. It says something like.

"Frame rate mismatch, Footage frame rate of 29.998 fps will be rendered out at 30fps. Audio timings will cause lip sync problems."

And they did, by the end of a 60second video the audio was out by about a second.

I can render out to a QT movie file but H264 is loads easier, oh why do they have this odd 29.998 frame rate???

It's actually 29.9982 and is very common, in fact the non specific 30fps is on every camera made.

It actually varies from 30.004 and 29.998 and is very very well documented.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Message 14 of 36
Message 14 of 36

@kaczorefx wrote:

Really??

That's probably the first video recording device I have ever seen to not offer 25fps recording?!?!? Even old analog camcorders gave you an option to choose between PAL and NTSC.

Analogue recorders will, the pal/ntsc system was meant for analogue colour spacing, not digital.

The problem is that you cannot intercut this footage with any other footage you've got - clips recorded by your friends using smartphones, gopros or even webcams.

You can, if you set to render at 25 in most video editors, they give you the options for stretching each frame using the dropped frames to sample. BTW, most smartphones record at 30/60 and Ive not seen an android that offers the 25fps option, however there are 3Rd party apps that can control it, I use one to match my 24fps shots sometimes.

What do you mean TVs support this framerate?? Played from what source - a usb stick?? Most setups will be fixed with a refresh rate of 48 or 50 fps,

Not since the dawn of HD, tvs are capable of many, many variable refresh rates, but bear in mind, most are multiples of 30 on hdmi (30/60/120/240) even in Europe.

be it a bluray player, media player or a pc connected via hdmi

Your pc is definitely connected at either 30 or 60fps if via hdmi, same as every digital panel on laptops blu ray is different in the fact it's a dedicated single purpose machine.

- that's because all movies and tv shows now are 24 or 25 fps - if you don't match that you will see stutter during viewing this footage.

Actually, if more frames, it's smoother, it only becomes stuttered if encoded to 24fps wrong or had incorrect shutter timing.

The device doesn't negotiate a new video format with the tv screen just because you launched a 30fps file! 

It doesn't need to, the TV is already native to either 30 or 60fps 

30 fps is acceptable in the US and probably Japan since they come from NTSC and still have HD content broadcasted in 30fps - but what about the rest of the world???

The rest of the world use 60fps footage and blend frames back to 24/25 fps as required per region. They don't go record game of thrones twice.

Is there an official feature request for Xperia phones so that we can ask for it in new firmware? I mean it's so basic that the cpu Z5s are running on supports these framerates from the get go, it's only missing in the camera software Slightly frowning Face

Again, lots of options on play store, and lots of options on editing. 

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.

Message 15 of 36
Message 15 of 36

I ask you to comment on the problem touched on in this topic, and to tell, whether it has a prospect of a successful decision?

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Camera/Video-recording-in-PAL-system/m-p/1252041#M2576

Highlighted
Message 16 of 36
Message 16 of 36

Really representatives of the official support of Sony did not read this post, and they have nothing to answer? Should I expect the addition of video recording modes with a frequency of 25 frames per second and 50 frames per second (PAL mode) on the Xperia X Compact smartphone purchased in Europe?

Message 17 of 36
Message 17 of 36

Most likely not.

do any other manufacturers offer this option on mobiles? Serious question.

Message 18 of 36
Message 18 of 36

Thank you, viridis. But I would like to receive a response from Sony's official representatives and find out why the manufacturer does not consider regional standards? Cameras are linked to sales regions or allow the user to choose (the device has NTSC and PAL).

Message 19 of 36
Message 19 of 36

Well I explained pretty much how the NTSC/PAL standards are irrelevant in today's digital age. Everything runs at 24, 30, 60, 120, 240, 480, 960.

The 25/50 is seldom ever seen today. Anywhere.

Message 20 of 36
Message 20 of 36

When creating PAL Blu ray discs for my region's BD player that plays PAL discs, I need to convert the video recorded on the Sony Xperia X Compact smartphone from the NTSC system to the PAL system, which leads to additional flaws - jerks and tears.