account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Xperia Xz camera overheating

One time poster
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Xperia Xz camera overheating

I bought my XZ a few weeks ago because I still think it's a very good phone and because I like Sony features but the device camera shuts down with a warning about a heating problem after a few minutes. I m in Thailand right now and the temperatures are around 35 degrees but my wife has a Samsung S7 and had no overheating problems. I have latest updates of Android Oreo and deactivated a lot of features like the battery care and the self tracking object camera feature. I still think this must be a software issue, something not quite well tuned with this updates but in the end of the day my wife's phone behaves like a premium product and the XZ makes you feel sorry for your choice... Any hints on how to solve this? Sony, you're better than this BTW. Thank you 

8 REPLIES 8
Apprentice
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Xperia Xz camera overheating

Your not alone every single xz owner is in the same boat, had mines for over a year and when first got it it lasted around 25 mins at 60fps but after every software update it gets less and less and now with nero 8 it lasts a MAX of 75 seconds before camera shutdown 30fps gets around 130 seconds my phone is so bad I have went back to my samsung s6 edge. Sony needs to recall this phone its no better than a brick?

I am with Virgin so phone is under warranty for two years but if it can be fixed I'am asking for full refund?

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Same problem here

Learner
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Same problem here. 33 degrees and it shuts down .I have been a loyal Sony client but this has put me off completely lost confidence

Emperor
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

@EnyawNosle 

I'm sorry to hear that but the phone will shutdown to prevent physical damage, the camera will heat up the phone faster than just texting or making calls

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

The camera even on a cool day shuts down after a few seconds. This has not been a problem until recently Si I'm sure it's a software update related issue . 

Learner
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Even thiis forun has issues .Responding prompts error  message 

Emperor
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

@EnyawNosle 

I get lags when the phone gets hot, if I'm playing games or texting with the Xperia XZ I don't get issues unless the phone gets too hot or the battery drops to 15%

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Using third-party camera apps like Open Camera helped me manage the situation, where the camera switched off using stock camera app.