account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

XZ2 Compact Camera Error

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 42
Message 1 of 42

XZ2 Compact Camera Error

I randomly experience following error after starting the camera app:

Black Screen with following message:

"Error

Cannot start camera. Restart

camera or device."

I experience the same issue on three different XZ2 Compact phones that I have access to. The error random and not purposely reproducable. Clearing cache/data does not resolve issue. Restarting does, though sometimes multiple restarts are required.

Safe mode is difficult to test, as the error is not purposely reproducable.

I have not tried a factory reset, though I doubt it would solve the issue, as I experience the error also on different devices.

I found following review, where the reviewer describes the same error, also on two different devices:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/sony-xperia-xz2-compact-review-12415657

Appreciate any help/support on this, as normal camera usage is almost impossible with this error present.

Thanks.

41 REPLIES 41
Emperor
Message 2 of 42
Message 2 of 42

Re: Camera Error

@kn0x

My suggestion before repairing the phone with XC is to test the phone in >>> safe mode as it will disable all third party apps that could be causing this, also unmount the SD card just to narrow down the issue. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 3 of 42
Message 3 of 42

Its difficult to test for error in safe mode, as the error cannot be purposely reproduced. It could happen dozens time a day, or not at all for days.

But the review I posted mentions following:

"A couple of factory resets later and this glitch is still persisting."

So I doubt that safe mode or XC software repair would make any difference.

Message 4 of 42
Message 4 of 42

@kn0x well, software repair could still be worth a try, as it downloads and installs a new copy of software before performing a factory reset. so if the issue is caused by corrupted software installation, the repair could possibly resolve it.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 42
Message 5 of 42

approaching the issue another way, is anyone else experiencing this issue on their XZ2 Compact?

PS: I don't really appreciate my post having been moved away from the XZ2 section to the camera section of the forum, as I believe that this issue is XZ2 Compact specific. I own many other Xperia phones, which do not have this issue. Also, I do not know who made the section change. Moving it away from the XZ2 Compact section, lessens the visibility for this specific (IMHO XZ2 specific) issue. I will re-post a message on the XZ2 Compact section linking back to this post.

Apprentice
Message 6 of 42
Message 6 of 42

XZ2 Compact Camera Issue

Linking back to a XZ2 Camera error issue that was moved from the XZ2 forum section to the camera section:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Camera/Camera-Error/m-p/1322287

I randomly experience following error after starting the camera app:

Black Screen with following message:

"Error

Cannot start camera. Restart

camera or device."

I experience the same issue on three different XZ2 Compact phones that I have access to. The error random and not purposely reproducable. Clearing cache/data does not resolve issue. Restarting does, though sometimes multiple restarts are required.

Safe mode is difficult to test, as the error is not purposely reproducable.

I have not tried a factory reset, though I doubt it would solve the issue, as I experience the error also on different devices.

I found following review, where the reviewer describes the same error, also on two different devices:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/sony-xperia-xz2-compact-review-12415657

Appreciate any help/support on this, as normal camera usage is almost impossible with this error present.

Thanks.

PS: I don't really appreciate my post having been moved away from the XZ2 section to the camera section of the forum, as I believe that this issue is XZ2 Compact specific. I own many other Xperia phones, which do not have this issue. Also, I do not know who made the section change. Moving it away from the XZ2 Compact section, lessens the visibility for this specific (IMHO XZ2 specific) issue. I will re-post a message on the XZ2 Compact section linking back to this post.

Regular
Message 7 of 42
Message 7 of 42

Re: XZ2 Compact Camera Issue

I can report that the same problem happened to my XZ2 Compact as well. The problem occurred once after I shot quite a few super slow-mo videos. I did not have an SD card on my device. My phone is on the latest firmware with May patches. A restart solves the issue though.

Visitor
Message 8 of 42
Message 8 of 42

Exactly the same problems described abbove, XZ2c

Learner
Message 9 of 42
Message 9 of 42

Exactly the same problems described abbove, XZ2 compact 

One time poster
Message 10 of 42
Message 10 of 42

Same here, camera totally unreliable, will be visiting shop in a few days for replacement