account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZ's Camera Overheating When Taking Video 1080p @60fps.

Adviser
Message 1 of 27
Message 1 of 27

XZ's Camera Overheating When Taking Video 1080p @60fps.

My camera overheats when I'm taking video. When it hits 2:10, it prompts me some features are disabled. The video stops entirely when it is 2:50. I'm using 1080p @60fps.

I bought this phone because of its powerful camera, can't believe the limiting factor is heat (appalling) and not memory. Anyone with the same issue and any idea what I can do to solve this?
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
Message 2 of 27

Re: XZ's Camera Overheating When Taking Video 1080p @60fps.

Turn off object tracking in the camera video settings and test again.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 3 of 27
Message 3 of 27

With object tracking turned off, it now goes to 5:10 for warning and 5:30 before the camera stops recording due to heat.

Is that similar to your findings? Any way to fuether extend or prevent it from overheating at 60fps at all?
Highlighted
Message 4 of 27
Message 4 of 27

It's similar to what I found on another device...
Unfortunately I don't have XZ so can't see all the settings to check.
As a guide, I turn off all automatic features on video and it usually squeezes a fair amount of recording time out of the devices.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.

Adviser
Message 5 of 27
Message 5 of 27

The last thing that I can turn off is SteadyShot. I'll try that tonight, hopefully it squeezes a little more.

I have a nagging suspicion it's the Bionz chip. My Sony action cam had heat issues as well, but it takes much longer. Sigh.. will update again tonight.

Thank you very much! Slightly smiling Face
Adviser
Message 6 of 27
Message 6 of 27

My test with object tracking and steadyshot off was conducted after leaving the device alone for 10 mins to maintain its idle temperature.

I get the warning message at 4:15 and the camera app closed at 7:10. This is the best I could get. On another count where I was using the phone for a while, I could only get 3+ minutes out of it.

That's pretty sad when you think of it, the nonsense a user have to put up with after buying a new and expensive new phone.
Message 7 of 27
Message 7 of 27

Do you have any case on it?
It could be preventing heat escaping..

Adviser
Message 8 of 27
Message 8 of 27

I've tried with and without a TPU case. The differences are negligible.
Message 9 of 27
Message 9 of 27

Ahh ok.

Adviser
Message 10 of 27
Message 10 of 27

After having these camera overheating problems on Z2, Z3, Z3+, SONY finally put tiny heat pipes into the Z5.

But by then, I was too annoyed at my Z2 having died from that in less than 6 months, with no Service or replacement from SONY at all.

So I didn't buy a Z5 in spite of the heatpipes, I knew it still had that overheating Snapdragon 810 SOC, I just didn't want to waste my money on another phone that cooks itself.

And here we are again - Aluminum back, which should vent heat loads better than the glass on front and back of the Z phones.

But its not enough. Still overheating.

And the suggestion to "turn off object tracking" to get past a minute and a half of recording is just silly.

Why do we have this supposedly awsome camera with all these amazing advertised features if we can't use them??