account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Touch Metering

Highlighted
Regular
Message 1 of 1
Message 1 of 1

Touch Metering

One very annoying aspect of the user experience with the Xperia camera app (on the Z5) is that it does not feature touch metering, a feature that is common with so many other devices.

For those unaware, touch metering is the process of adjusting exposure to the area of the screen which you touch, similar to how touch focusing focuses on the area you touch.

Currently, to change the metering mode one has to:

1. Unlock the device (3 seconds if you care about your security and use lock screen protection),

2. Open the camera app (2-3 seconds),

3. Swipe to manual mode (1-2 seconds), then

4. Open the settings, additional settings, then select metering (2-3 seconds).

This process is currently the only way to change to metering. It can not be changed in superior auto, and to change it in manual requires a screen unlock (yes, I know, it's just weird). The process takes so long that your opportunity is gone most of the time. It's such a shame.

After all this hassle, metering only applies to the centre of the viewfinder. This is also stupid because, obviously, most of the time you don't want to meter on the centre of the viewfinder.

Sonytalk, can I please have a response from the devs as to why there is a lack of touch metering? This is such a useful feature, and I can't begin to consider the Xperia camera to be 'feature-rich' and 'professional' without it.