account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sony camera app won't save photos on SD card

Apprentice
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Sony camera app won't save photos on SD card

Hi,  built-in Camera app is unable to save photos or videos on SD card under Regular User Account.  It works ok only when switched to Owner/Master account. Any idea, why is this happening ? XZP Dual G8142, Android 9 47.2.A.8.24 

kr,

5 REPLIES 5
Emperor
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Sony camera app won't save photos on SD card

@Fourpiece 

Have you encrypted the SD card? 

Could you create a new account and test if you can save pictures on the SD card?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hi, I've repaired the phone via Xperia Companion once more, signed into phones main Master/Owner account with 1st Google account. Then I've checked the encryption settings of the SD card (after Software repair it was inactive). So I activated it and finally formatted the SD card before first use. Then I created another User account and signed in with my 2nd Google account. Under this account I was suprisingly able to set Camera app to use SD card as a place to save pictures and succesfully taken a photo. But then I switched back into the Master/Owner account and here Cammera app refused to use SD card as a data storage.

Ultimately I've realised, that the camera app is able to use the SD card only under one user account (it doesn't matter if its main Owner account or added User account.) Also it doesn't matter, if the SD card encryption is on or off, the result is same. To put it simply, after the SD card format the first time you gain the cammera app privilegies to access the SD card under any user account, others accounts Camera apps instances won't be able to utilize SD card.

So much for multi-user environment. Still not sure, if it is limitation of the Android itself, or just the Sony's Cammera app is the limitation. Would be nice to have some techical insigh on that.

Emperor
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

@Fourpiece 

You can download a different camera to test it, it wouldn't surprise me if its an Android limitation

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Hello, so I recently tried another camera app (namely Open Camera) and wasn't able to set other storage space than internall memory. Most probably it's Androids limitation then. Thx for response. 

Emperor
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

@Fourpiece 

any third party apps/games issues has to be addressed by the app developers.