account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Improvements for Camera App

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Improvements for Camera App

Hi,

I'm new to Android and started with a Sony Xpera XZ1. The last few years I was happy with my Windows Mobile 10 Phones but now the time has come to switch to another platform, so here I am Slightly smiling Face

My last device was a Lumia 930 and the Camera App over there had a few nice features I'm missing on my Sony. Would be great to see some of them in future updates:

• Zoom while recording a video is too fast. This should be slowed down to realize smooth zooming effects and get more pleasing video footage.
  • Manual whitebalance for videos. Sure the automatic is doing a great job, but yesterday in low light conditions I had some trouble with the correct whitebalance. Would be great to have a option to set it manually to a fixed value.
  • Manual focusing for videos. Would be great to have an option to manually focus or defocus. I used this to fade-in or fade-out my videos. Currently I need to do some post-processing. Next point - sometimes the focus looses track of my object e.g. if something went trough your szene. There you better set the focus manually on your subject and it stay there even if anything bothers you.

Improvements for taking stills:

• There is a something I miss: A real "pro" option with the ability to capture pictures in RAW/DNG. Sony as big player in the camera business should be able to implement such a function. Currently I have to stick with 3rd party apps to get some DNG files. Would be great to get Sony's full expertise on this and enable a setting in the native camera app to capture RAW.

Maybe some of the above mentiont points have been requested in the past. But I think if you ask continuously for them some of the wishes come true :smileysmileywink:

Looking forward to read other users feedback.

Regards,

patman89

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Improvements for Camera App

Agree. Manual mode for videos and raw support is what we need (beside the fast update for the lens distortion..)

In the past Sony did some good things improving the camera app with little tweaks. It's good that you made 4k video availability through settings and not via an additional "app"

Adviser
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

The increase of exposure time (1s is not enough!!) and a less destructive hi iso noise reduction would be appreciated too (maybe a tunable option? off-low-normal-high like sony alpha cameras??). 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

@patman89, so you say, you can take Raw photos with third party apps? Raw support is the dealbreaker for me. I won't mind if I have to use third party app. 

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

I would like to have an app like FilmicPro on IPhone but for my Xperia phone. Every app that I've tried doesn't have the ability to fine tune the framerate, bitrate, and lock the exposure. If we could have those features it would be fantastic. Otherwise I will have to switch to Apple.

Because of the hardware fragmentation on Android, it's very likely that only Sony can do that. Thanks in advance for your help.