account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Error the camera may be in use by another application

Message 1 of 19
Message 1 of 19

Error the camera may be in use by another application

Error the camera may be in use by another application. Please close the other application and try again. How to fix this problem please help me.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Message 2 of 19

Re: Sony Xperia xz camera problem

@Alptulumce23

Did you try restarting your phone?

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 19
Message 3 of 19

Hi @Alptulumce23, welcome to our community!

I'm sorry to hear about that.

Do you remember if you installed a new application in your phone or updated the software prior to this starting to occur?

If you still can't start the camera after restarting your phone as @Quester suggested, I would recommend that you restart your phone in safe mode. While the phone is rebooted in safe mode applications that you have downloaded and installed on your own won't be loaded, so we can see if any of these applications are the cause of you receiving the error message in the camera application.

You can also try and start the Camera in the inbuilt test in the phone called Diagnostics that you find in Settings > About phone > Diagnostics > Camera / Front camera.

Let us know how it goes!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Message 4 of 19
Message 4 of 19

@Quester @Jonas
Yes restarded in safemode. But not fix. I tested in diagonics. Working on diagonics but in safemode not Working.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 19
Message 5 of 19

Hello again!

Sorry to hear that there was no change in safe mode. Slightly frowning Face

In this case I would recommend that you perform a software repair using Xperia Companion. This will delete all data stored on the internal storage of your phone and reinstall the latest available software again.

Since data is being removed it's recommended that you backup using Xperia Companion prior to starting with the repair.

Keep us posted!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Learner
Message 6 of 19
Message 6 of 19

Re: Error the camera may be in use by another application

You don't have to reformat your phone. Goto your apps under settings and uninstall and app that using the camera beside the default app. I think that the app you get for free when you add emoji to your camera is the culprit. This app comes recommended from Sony but I'm pretty sure it breaks your camera. Uninstall and reboot your phone and fixed. 

Message 7 of 19
Message 7 of 19

@PDXB wrote:

You don't have to reformat your phone. Goto your apps under settings and uninstall and app that using the camera beside the default app. I think that the app you get for free when you add emoji to your camera is the culprit. This app comes recommended from Sony but I'm pretty sure it breaks your camera. Uninstall and reboot your phone and fixed. 

I have same Error message on my L1 but don't have this emotion add-on. I have remove camera permission from all apps that had this permission but still get error message. I've removed Location permission from Camera app - this also did not fix problem.

Diagnostic tests for Camera, Front camera and Flash fail, all others pass. 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 19
Message 8 of 19

Hi @PDXB, I'm not quite sure that I understand which application you mean, is it the AR effect application you are referring to?

Hi @FriendlyDutch, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

Is there any change if you reboot your phone in safe mode? That way we can see that if this is caused by a third party application or not.

If there is no change while the phone is rebooted in safe mode, try performing a software repair using Xperia Companion.

Do note that this will delete all data stored on the internal storage of the phone, so it is advised to create a backup using Xperia Companion before you start with the actual repair.

Let me know how it goes!

Message 9 of 19
Message 9 of 19

@Jonas wrote:

Hi @PDXB, I'm not quite sure that I understand which application you mean, is it the AR effect application you are referring to?

Hi @FriendlyDutch, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

Is there any change if you reboot your phone in safe mode? That way we can see that if this is caused by a third party application or not.

If there is no change while the phone is rebooted in safe mode, try performing a software repair using Xperia Companion.

Do note that this will delete all data stored on the internal storage of the phone, so it is advised to create a backup using Xperia Companion before you start with the actual repair.

Let me know how it goes!

Jonas, I rebooted into Safe Mode: no difference. After backing up as much as i could, I ended up transferring my 'old' L1 to a 'new' replacement L1 (which is another story I'll share elsewhere on this forum). I then did a Software Repair, again with the same problem on the 'old' L1. I then did a factory reset - the camera problem remained. That's when I returned the 'old' L1 to the Vodafone shop after making sure my 'new' replacement L1's camera was functioning properly. Many thanks to the Vodafone store folks for their support but my confidence in Sony Mobiles has taken a dent!
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 19
Message 10 of 19

Hi @FriendlyDutch, I understand that, however I'm glad to hear the retailer were able to sort this out for you and hopefully you won't have any more troubles with the device from now on!