account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Error. Cannot start camera. Restart camera or device .

One time poster
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Error. Cannot start camera. Restart camera or device .

Hi there, 

Got a new Xperia xz2 four couple weeks now. If I'm using the external camera button to take a picture first auto picture is too bright. The next picture is good. I can switch off the function to take an image on the button press. I believe it is a software bug.

The next issue with the camera is if I'm using the external camera button to take a picture few times with the few minutes gap, then unlockin the phone an press the camera app (Sony app). Got the error cannot Start the camera. I have to restart the phone to get the camera working again. Closing the background camera app not solving the issue.

Please advise. 
Screenshot_20180604-115825.png

15 REPLIES 15
Learner
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

XZ2 Compact Camera Error

I randomly experience following error after starting the camera app:

Black Screen with following message:

"Error

Cannot start camera. Restart

camera or device."Screenshot_20180519-185706.png

Apprentice
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

Re: Error. Cannot start camera. Restart camera or device .

I have the same issue on my new xperia xz2 compact. Well the first 2 months I didn't have that problem but since a few days everytime I want to take a video I need to restart. Closing and restarting the app doesn't help. Sony please fix this.

BTW: I have the latest update and so on and so forth. Also the fastest SD on the market as memory card.

One time poster
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

I get the same error message from time to time. And right now it's actually constant, i.e. restarting the device doesn't solve it.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

Same issue for me.

Considering a factory reset..... 

One time poster
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

I have the same thing... It works when turning it on first time after restart, can do anything record etc but if i will turn off the camera, thats it, i have to restart the phone to have '1 time use only' camera.... Should i send it back to them to fix it ?

P.S: Did a factory reset, still the same thing.

One time poster
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

Error camera XZ2

Al. Abrir la aplicación me sale error desconocido,, intente restaurarlo y todo y sigue fallando 

Al. Open the application I get an unknown error, try to restore it and everything and keep failing

gt

Apprentice
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

Never again xperia phone !!! Camera app is a joke !!!

Ive had in my life so many phones, never feel so disapointed like now. In important moments my camera App put black screen and error message and phone is slowest and must restart it.

Ive had xperia before, Z and,, Z1 and worked well, ten i had Samsung, LG, Huawei, Samsung again, now backed to Sony and it was worst choice of my "smartphones life" specialy I had so many hope for good camera and its so disaster!

After today when i needed my camera so much, ive had few errors and Its enought!

NEVER AGAIN SONY PHONE!!! 

Rookie
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

Re: Never again xperia phone !!! Camera app is a joke !!!

Pareil pour moi, photos catastrophiques et appareil toujours en erreur ! ! Très déçue car impossible de faire des photos aux moments importants et qualité photo mauvaise !! !

Same for me, catastrophic photos and camera always in error! ! Very disappointed because impossible to make photos at important moments and poor photo quality! !

gt

Visitor
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

Screenshot_20180713-012934.pngCamera error

Same error, it's very frustrating