account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Error. Cannot start camera. Restart camera or device .

Rookie
Message 11 of 17
Message 11 of 17

Re: Error. Cannot start camera. Restart camera or device .

Same thing here. Constant problem with that after first update. Shouldn't have done it, updates usually make more harm than good and you're never informed what is actually changing.

I get the error camera ALWAYS when I need it the most. Quick fix I'm using is to Force Stop the app under Apps settings but sometimes it freezes and takes several attempts and even restarting the phone doesn't help.

Really annoying thing is that Camera in XZ2 supposed to be its leading feature and it fails the most. When I got this phone as a replacement of X I was so happy to see it was finally working! X was great till first update and then it went worse and worse...Phone advertised with super quick camera where to access it you had to wait a really loooong time and mainly having error anyway.

Never had that problem with any other phone. My previous Z2 was the best one ever! Untill it got major update to new software where it started to heat, freeze, etc. but not the camera issue.

Another annoying thing is photo widget. Awsome feature and apparently it's been removed in Oreo because after asking customers they said they wheren't using it. I've never been asked. Nor all the unhappy people somewhere on the forum I came accross. Please Sony, bring it back! And fix that camera error permanently!

Plus - does anybody else have the issue with connecting to unprotected wi-fi? Had problems with that with previous X and unfortunately with XZ2 after first update! Please feel free to move wi-fi problem to the new thread if needed.

Apprentice
Message 12 of 17
Message 12 of 17

Good news for me is that the problem has gone away!

Really sorry I haven't documented what I changed but there was a recent software update that is the most likely fix. 

Hope this comes to others with the same problem!

Message 13 of 17
Message 13 of 17

@Robbbb

Indeed, some users reported that this issue disappeared after updating their XZ2/XZ2C to the latest firmware (51.1.A.4.265).

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 14 of 17
Message 14 of 17

Sony is cheating customers by giving very low quality products. I got this issue 2 times in warranty alone and they gave it repaired .

I asked them to give me a replacement phone or money back as this was coming continuously, but they were very rude and said i can get this repaired till its in warranty, after that i have to shell money from my own pockets whenever this issue comes. This  phone is not even 2 years old and the camera has gone bad a 3rd time now and its out of warranty Slightly frowning Face

I think we need to file a consumer forum complaint against sony on this.

Learner
Message 15 of 17
Message 15 of 17

Re: Never again xperia phone !!! Camera app is a joke !!!

Very true, i made a video once and the camera just shutdown saying camera is too hot and i lost the video as well.

One time poster
Message 16 of 17
Message 16 of 17

Can't use my camera keeps saying error restart camera or device I've restarted everything cleared data cleared cache and still no luck any advice 

Message 17 of 17
Message 17 of 17

Screenshot_20191206-205508.png

Screenshot_20191206-205508.png