account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Camera Settings not accessible after start from Lockscreen

Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Camera Settings not accessible after start from Lockscreen

Hi,

the usability of the camera after a start from lockscreen is bad, because you cannot change any settings or make a manual shoot.

I dont see  a reason for that. 

Does anyone know why it has to be that way? 

If there isn't a strong case, to not allow users to change camera settings in lockscreen mode, i would highly recommend to enable it in a future update.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Camera Settings not accessible after start from Lockscreen

You can only change settings or see the album if you unlock the device. However, you can forward your ideas to your Local support.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hi @masterlu

Welcome to the community. Slightly smiling Face

The camera from the lock screen is mostly there for those moments where you quickly need to snap a photo or take a video for something urgent, rare or quick. It sets it to Superior Auto which will optimise the photo to the best of its ability, but if you want greater control you will need to unlock the phone.

We always appreciate feedback. Thank you Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Regular
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

@CameronT it's understandable why the settings aren't available from the lock screen, but i agree with @masterlu that it hinders the user experience.
Yes, sometimes I just want to take a quick snap, but sometimes superior auto doesn't quite do the job. Sometimes i want more settings, but i don't want to have to fiddle around with unlocking the phone.

Likewise, I don't understand why we can only view the last picture taken. I'd love to be able to see all pictures taken in the current session without having to unlock the screen, it's a smarter user experience.

And lastly, why can't we change the naming convention for pictures and videos taken @CameronT? I don't like the DSC_ prefix, and so I use an app which immediately changes the filename after a picture has been taken. It works, but it's another app that has to be run you know? It feels very unintuitive.
Learner
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Hi cameronT and csamf271,

thanks for joining the conversation.

Superior Auto at start is just fine, but once you recognize it cannot do the job, you need 4 extra steps to access the settings or switch to manual or to a photo app. 

The 4 steps are: 1)confirm you want to unlock, 2a)wait for the lock screen to show up 2b)and to rotate, 3)swipe, 4)type your pin.

This are 4 steps too much, in my perspective. 

If you want to keep the settings locked down in lock screen mode, for whatever reasons, you could try to eliminate 3 of the steps [1)+2)+3)]. 

And I would really like to know the reason, why the settings should be locked. Every one of my last phones had a fully functional camera after start from lock screen.

I agree with csamf271 that it is likewise not understandable to be only able to see the last picture taken of the current session. There isn't a privacy issue here. And again, most other phones will allow you to, for a good reason. And of course, changing the prefix to something else, would make it much easier to keep the photos organized, great idea. 

csamf271 or anyone who has an idea to this matter, why do you think it is understandable that we are not allowed to enter the camera settings from lock screen? 

Regular
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

masterlu, in response to your question, I believe thay Sony would say the camera app settings are not available from the lock screen camera for just one reason: security concerns.

In reality, they probably don't want to make these changes because they don't consider it profitable. Yes, it's great that they update to the newest version of Android, but that's not enough; certain experiences on the device, such as using the camera, are crippled by software that feels restrictive and unintuitive.

And honestly, they probably won't change it anytime soon. In fact, by highlighting clear issues with their software, we are probably LESS likely to receive any response from support because they want these flaws to be forgotten. In other words, it will be 'swept under the rug'.

If you want a better camera UI experience, CyanogenMod is probably the way to go. Due to the loss of Sony's patented camera algortihms, the photos might not be so great, but the camera will definitely feel nicer to use.