account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

z5 variants USB port corrosion WARNING!!

Rookie
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

z5 variants USB port corrosion WARNING!!

I bought a white z5 compact back it first went out in october, and I have used it quite regularly when I was taking a bath or a shower. But I do follow the instruction that I never immerse the phone and I do tried to clean the water out when I pluged in the phone. But just a few days ago, the phone start to refuse to charge sometimes, and than it got worse. I found that the phone's receptacle is covered with green oxidized copper. And the repair centre said that it's probably not cover in warranty. Sony removed the usb port cover and didn't ever think about corrosion problem and still claim this a waterproofing phone? What are they thinking about?

Are there anyone who encountered the same problem?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: z5 variants USB port corrosion WARNING!!

@felixlee

Physically and chemically, this effect will be induced by charging the phone while you have a moist USB port, especially with water that has minerals in it. The port depends on copper components that will resist oxidation on normal conditions, but if you get it wet and then apply a current through it without allowing it to get completely dried out you'll catalyze the oxidative process.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

There are a bunch of products that "deoxidizes" electrical connectors. Here's a link for one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/DeoxITGOLD-GN5-Mini-Spray-nonflammable-solution/dp/B000RGD9QE/ref=sr_1_1?s=ele...

Spray it on a and connect/disconnect a usb cable a few times should clear it up.  I been using it for motorcycle and boat electrical connectors.  Recently, it has been useful for my usb charging port on my earbuds that tend to get sweaty during workouts.

Rookie
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

thanks a lot. I'll try that.
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

@felixlee

Also be sure never to charge your phone after wetting it, you have to let it dry completely by leaving it in a well ventilated atmosphere for enough time. And check your USB cables for the same oxide formation.

Keep us updated.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Rookie
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

@Quester

I did find some green oxide stains on the cable's port. The phone and the cable have send to Sony for diagonostic.

I'm so unware of the oxide reaction, just thought that Sony had sort everything out and I totally forget the power of chemical reaction.

Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

@felixlee

Hope it's all OK and no significant damage has been done, I know not everyone reads user manuals but Sony mentioned in the Z5 manual to completely dry the USB port for 15 minutes and even gave a simple procedure to dry it out:

https://support.sonymobile.com/gb/xperiaz5/userguide/Charging-your-device/