account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

xperia z glass

One time poster
Message 11 of 19
Message 11 of 19

Re: xperia z glass

How about the scratch resistance of the anti shatter film?

The hardness of tempered glass doesn't do anything to prevent scratches if it's covered by a plastic film

Sam
Sony Xperia Support
Message 12 of 19
Message 12 of 19

The shatter proof sheet is not scratch resistant only the screen itself. As the shatter proof sheet is a removable, non-permanent (in many cases) thin sheet of plastic it would be impractical and extremely difficult to offer that the same level of scratch resistance as the screen itself.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 13 of 19
Message 13 of 19

So let me get this right with a few more questions:

1. So I have to choose between a scratch resistant screen and a shatter resistant screen?

2. Is the anti shatter film actually meant to be removed? Since I've seen that the Sony logo is embedded in it and it is not easy at all to remove it

One time poster
Message 14 of 19
Message 14 of 19

It does sound silly advertising a scratch resistant screen when ideally you need to keep the antishatter film on it, which is not scratch resistant, if this is the set up they will use then wouldnt it not have been better to put the antishatter film on the inside resulting in both antishatter protection and scratch resistantce?

Also it realy cant be as equal to as Gorrila and Dragontrail if it uses mineral glass with this set up, plus if the price is going to be £500+ i would expect the use of Alkli-Aluminosilicate Glass (Gorilla/Dragontrail) not standard mineral glass, but if the price is very good ie way cheaper than say iphone 5 then i would except the use of mineral glass due to keeping costs down.

Emperor
Message 15 of 19
Message 15 of 19

that's only a prototype, just like ALL the xperias it has that film, you can add an extra scratch resistant or scratch proof film and apply it on top of the shatter proof film

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 16 of 19
Message 16 of 19

I know its only a prototype at the moment and this is all speculation, obvoiusly we cant comment properly till an official one is relesed,

And if you still have to rely on a screen protector you will need one on the back as well to prevent scratches on both the front and nack and change on a regular basis to keep it looking good, its not what you expect if the phone costs £500+ and is aimed at the iphone in terms of quality?

but the question is if it is going to use this set up why say it is as good as Gorilla/Dragontrail when those types of glass dont rely on an antishatter film, the idea of the harder glass is to not need a protective film all this does is make the customer think they are getting a simmilar product when they are not as most wont have a clue about what the glass composit is, but we shall have to wait and see what is released.

One time poster
Message 17 of 19
Message 17 of 19

The only thing really scratchproof is the glass itsself. A flexible plastic film can never be as scratchproof as tempered (mineral) glass (who-ever the manufacturer is)

With al due respect, but your argument is invalid

in other words, there is no way to make your Xperia decently scratchproof without removing the anti shatter film?

One time poster
Message 18 of 19
Message 18 of 19

I kinda am still looking for an answer to this question:

Will the screen still be strong enough (comparable to dragontrail/gorilla) when removing the anti shatter film?

I can't stand screen protectors because they scratch so easily, I've never used one, and I've never had a scratch my whole life (except on the resistive touch screens back in the old days)

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 19 of 19
Message 19 of 19

we cant comment properly untill a full version is out there but going off the composit of the glass on the xperia z web site even with the antishatter film the temperd mineral glass will not be as good as Gorilla/Dragontrail so removing it will make it worse and will shatter much more easily, which is a shame as i realy like this phone.

Gorilla and Dragontrail glass is not mineral glass it is Alkali-Aluminosilicate glass which is completley diferent to mineral glass as it is combined with aluminium and other chemicals to strengthen it, normal mineral glass is strengthend by heat tempering it which makes it stronger but it shatters completeley on impact, ever seen the glass in a bus stop or a car window smashed? it breaks in to to tiny pieces to prevent sharp edges forming, that is what happens when you break temperd glass, the antishatter film is there to prevent that from happening so i would think removing it would result in the phone shattering upon impact.

i dont think it is close to Gorilla/Dragontrail if it was there would be no need for the antishatter film

It would be nice for sony to announce the use of Gorilla/Dragontrail or a Alkali- Aluminasilicate type glass when the phone is released.