account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

how to move apps from internal storage to SD card

Talent
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

how to move apps from internal storage to SD card

Hello,

I am new to the Forum.

I have just bought a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.

I am sure you all know that it only has 16gb of internal storage, so I have bought a massive SD Card with the intentions to transfer any moveable APPS to it, but I am having real difficulty in find a easy way to do this (I do not want to root my phone).

I thought I had done enough research on this phone before I bought it, but I just did not think this would be a problem !!!

Can anyone help please ?

Thanks

Bobby

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

Re: how to move apps from internal storage to SD card

This is a restriction from google,you cannot do it.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

Only possibility is to gain root access and use apps like app2sd
Apprentice
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

This is such a setback for an otherwise great phone. I have a D5833 too with a 128GB microSD.

'Move to SD' button from Settings->Apps->select app is simply not available.

Rooting the phone would have solved the problem (if rooted, I can even mount my Android/data and obb/ or the entire /data from external SD like I did with my previous Android) or change platform.xml to allow apps writing to external SD directly.

However, I do not want to lose the fantastic low light post processing of the camera. Currently there is still no exploit to root Z3C other than unlocking bootloader (which will wipe the Trim Area, including the DRM id). There is no revert back once you unlock bootloader - relocking will not restore DRM id.

So still holding back from rooting for the time being unless you don't really care about your camera, X reality, Bravia Engine, or Screen Mirroring (can live without Mirroring to Bravia TV as Chromecast screen mirror works for this model - just not the Sony mirroring).

Rookie
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

I am also very disappointed especially after always having an iPhone, I just recently 'upgraded' and went with Sony and Android because of all the stupid restrictions with Apple .. .. now I find Android are no better!!

Some forums are suggesting that Sony could insist that Android allows the transfer of apps to sd but choose not to, grrrr!

One time poster
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

Just got the Z3, moved over from a Nexus 5.

It's absolutely ridiculous that we cannot move Apps to SD Card on this premium expensive phone. Does Sony not respect us because for the lower end cheap experia handsets sony allows moving apps to SD Card as seen here http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/07/17/sony-brings-app-to-sd-card-support-in-latest-xperia-kitkat-firm...

I urge the hackers to release stable roms so we can root this phone.

Very disappointed that sony would make this phone only have 16GB internal memory (to save manufacturing costs) while not letting the users move over app to SD Card.

It's stupid to give 3GB ram and a powerful quad core which is only really required for gaming if we can't even fit multiple games onto the phone
Highlighted
Regular
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

Quite surprised that this feature was removed. I really liked this feature on my XPeria S (Android 4.1.2) and it's strange to say the least that this function was removed from the more 'advanced' Android version that the Z3 Compact runs. Especially when phones are becoming more powerful and hence apps will become bigger, you can't expect that 16GB internal memory is going to be sufficient to store all apps during the phone's lifetime, or make the user dependent on the app developers to implement installing/moving data to the SD card.

One time poster
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

This article says the trouble will be over once Android 4.4 get updated to 5.0 :

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/04/android-5-0-makes-sd-cards-great-again-extends-api-to-allow-...

Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

I don't think this means you will be able to move apps to SD,it is just that applications will be able to write on external SD.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Commissioner
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

heremap can store downloaded map on sd card