account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

audio phase problem

Learner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

audio phase problem

The Xperia Z3 Compact suffers from an audio phase problem. When I record a video or stereo sound on the voice memo app the audio will cancel itself out on mono devices and is lacking body on stereo devices (sounds very thin - only high mid and high on the spectrum). When I import the audio in my DAW and switch the phase of either the left or the right channel, the problem is solved.

Can you please help me out on this? I use the voice memo app a lot to record quick demo’s of songs and when I want to share a video I just recorded, the sound is just crapSlightly frowning Face It is very easy to solve.

6 REPLIES 6
Emperor
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: audio phase problem

@xvdijk

I thought the Xperias can only record in mono unless you use a stereo mic

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

No the voice memo app has a stereo function and the camera app also records stereo audio when shooting video

Emperor
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

@xvdijk

That's interesting, I was going to suggest this http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/accessories/stereo-microphone-stm10/

could you test the mics? 

settings > about phone > diagnostics > test 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your reply by the way. When I'm testing the mic it says it is okay. However I'm now trying to upload some examples to show what I mean

Learner
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Okay so this is the problem with the voice memo app:

https://soundcloud.com/xandervandijk/sets/sony-xperia-phase-problem

The ones with (Phase Invert) are the ones I fixed. As you can hear the stereo example sounds out of phase and the mono example lacks body. The sound cancels itself out on mono devices like the Iphone, laptops etc.

This is even more clear on the example of the camera app:

https://soundcloud.com/xandervandijk/sets/sony-xperia-camera-problem

This is taken from I video I put on Facebook when I was in the studio. At first I thought it was Facebook compression which was killing the audio, but then I found out it was actually a problem of the Sony device itself.

Schermafdruk 2016-05-10 21.07.41.pngSchermafdruk 2016-05-10 21.07.37.png

This is what I was doing in Logic.

Thanks for helping!

Highlighted
Demigod
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Isn't that Z3C uses main mic and noise cancellation mic while recording? When using Sound Recorder it has two channel bars and their levels move independently. Also loaded into Audacity waves looks like stereo recording. Maybe those mics are really connected in opposite phases?

Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Xperia Z3 Compact / Nexus 7 (2012)