account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z5 premium - fingerprint scanner issues

Message 11 of 29
Message 11 of 29

Re: Z5 premium - fingerprint scanner issues

Hello.

I have the same problem, Z5 Compact.

I THINK I have the solution:

I have registred 5 of my fingers and sometimes no of the fingers can unlock.

Sometimes I can unlock and sometimes I must use my code, cause no of my fingers are known by the scanner.

Mostly we got told that our fingers are wet or the scanne is wet or scratched.

Though, I am quite sure that it is the weather. Your fingers are getting too dry!

My fingers are really dry to day and I can't unlock without the code.

I will advice against deleting your fingerprints beacause you can't register your fingers if they are dry.

Message 12 of 29
Message 12 of 29

@Dean_Weaver

Keep us updated.

@jchris1953

Thanks, I don't have the Z5 yet but it is useful information for others.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Apprentice
Message 13 of 29
Message 13 of 29

My Z5 is also finicky with fingerprint scanner, but it is just my sweaty hands. Wipe them off and it works much better. I really like this when it works, but don't often have a cotton shirt on to absorb all the sweat. The tip of my thumb seems to work best as it is driest.

I really like having multiple fingers profiled as I often grab it with my left hand. I have left index, middle and right thumb and it's covered every time I pick it up - As long as my hands aren't damp.

Talent
Message 14 of 29
Message 14 of 29

These are the results of my tests:

On the day my fingerprints were registered, I used the scanner 100 times & my success rate was 80%

On the first day after registering I repeated this, but it had fallen to 73%

On the second day, this had fallen to 65%

By the third day, this was only 42%

I then cleaned the sensor (with a ‘baby wipe’), repeated the test & got 55% - not even as-good as it was yesterday…..

At this point I find the failure rate very annoying - I have disabled this ‘feature’.......

When I buy a ‘premium’ product, I expect a premium price, but expect premium performance. What I actually get is useless & expensive rubbish - thanks Sony - this is a (very bad) joke…..

This is terrible - this is my last Sony phone.

So my question is WHY IS THIS CHANGING ?

Highlighted
Message 15 of 29
Message 15 of 29

@Dean_Weaver Can you let someone else set up the fingerprints and see if the same problems occur?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 16 of 29
Message 16 of 29

try this FingerPrint.png

my explanation is in this thread https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Z5-Dual-Fingerprint-Scanner-Problems/...

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 17 of 29
Message 17 of 29

@jchris1953 wrote:

I have registred 5 of my fingers and sometimes no of the fingers can unlock.

dont do this, register 2 ,
and register them more than once...

I did Middle, next verify with middle, index, next verify with index, thumb, back to index back to middle

my scanner on the compact unlocks me everytime.

also, if you register the same finger using the technique i posted above, you'll almost guaranteed 100% of the time to unlock, if you register that finger 5 times, upsidedown, sideways, normal, pressing really hard, and then another normal sweep

EDIT: imma do another paint job (because i can, and because i'm bored) with another visual example that might help some people with how the scanner sort of picks up the print brb

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 18 of 29
Message 18 of 29

Scanner.png

That's just a visual representation...

edit: also because we're working in measurements smaller than a millimetre, everyone will have a different tactile/touch feedback , --so, if you press too hard, it's enough pressure to distort your fingerprint enough, where the scanner picks up the ridges and groves to cause a mismatch. so it helps if you scan the same finger on another register, using different pressures when you activate the scanner, so it has more samples to reduce the errors in reading

Learner
Message 19 of 29
Message 19 of 29

NeoBeum, thanks for the tip. But I'm a bit confused here.

So is it good idea to register one finger multiple times, or bad?

Talent
Message 20 of 29
Message 20 of 29

Alexdon - the response from 'sonymobile' was to perform a repair with PC Companion (as you suggested..). So after performing a backup, this is what I did. Just registered my fingerprints & with 100 attempts at unlocking, I had 95 successful (marvellous) - but will it last.... 

I will report in a few days.