account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z5 crashing

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Z5 crashing

Hi there,

I received my Z5 as an upgrade as part of my contract. 

I've had the phone for around two days, however this issue has been present since the first boot up.

I have downloaded the PC Companion and am told the phone and its software is up to date. 

Whenever I boot up snapchat, the entire phone freezes and then crashes. The screen goes black and then comes back on with whatever the screen was at when it crashed, then slowly fades with red lines running from top to bottom of the screen. After which, the phone reboots.

Assuming it was snapchat, I uninstalled the app and re-installed, however the same issue is present. I went into settings and attempted to run the phone diagnostic tests. The main camera was fine, passing the test. When I moved onto the second part, the front camera, the phone lagged quite badly and then crashed. Once the phone restarted, I went back into the front camera and, upon opening it, the phone screen crashed, looking like an old television with static on the screen before rebooting again.

I'm lead to believe this is the front camera that's causing the issue, seeing as Snapchat runs off of the front camera upon app start up.

11 REPLIES 11
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: Z5 crashing

Hi @JamieMck,

Welcome to the community.

It does seem the camera app is causing the issue, based on the information you have provided.

Are you on Lollipop or Marshmallow?

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

Android 5.1.1 - Lollipop.

When I go into software updates, it tells me my phone is on the current version of Android

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

@JamieMck,

Go to Settings > Apps > All > Camera > Clear Data > Force Stop. Try it again and see if the same thing is happening.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Visitor
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

Done,

Unfortunately, the same error occurs in the diagnostic checks. The front camera works as normal until I press the button to capture, then it freezes and reboots.

Emperor
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

@JamieMck

Remove the SD card and then boot in >>> safe mode

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

I removed the Micro SD, booted into safe mode, cleared camera data, force stopped and attempted the diagnostic check again, however it still crashed. 

I'm not sure if it helps at all, but when the phone does crash, the led at the top flashes red three times.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

@JamieMck,

Doesn't seem like it's an app specific issue then. Might be the firmware. You may have to run a software repair next.

Visitor
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

I'd ran a software repair yesterday if I'm not mistaken. It rolled the phone back to the basics, wiping my contacts etc. Afterwards, the issue still persisted.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

@JamieMck,

If the software repair hasn't helped, you will have to contact your local support team to arrange a repair.