account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z5 compact hanging on phone calls made/received

Learner
Message 1 of 21
Message 1 of 21

Z5 compact hanging on phone calls made/received

Hi. I upgraded from a Sony XP to a z5 compact white, yesterday, however when i make or recieve phone calls, the phone effectively freezes.screen goes black, even when calls finished!!!

This is especially annoying as the same problem blighted my XP and is one of the main reasons i chose to upgrade as was struggling with ram issues anyway

Brand new phone, and having the exact same issues.

Apps downloaded are

Facebook messenger
Avast anti virus
Ccleaner
Burgerking app
My o2
o2 priority

What is going to be causing the phone part to freeze?

Nb i also have wifi on most of the time

Any help much appreciated
20 REPLIES 20
Genius
Message 2 of 21
Message 2 of 21

Re: Z5 compact hanging on phone calls made/received

Hi @Patdfb

Please, boot your device into safe mode as explained here. If this issue is not present in this mode, that indicates a third party app is causing the problem. In this case exit Safe Mode and then un-install any third party apps you don't need and clear the cache/data for the apps you want to keep.

"We can have anything we want on life, if we just help others to found what they need” - Ebelsain Villegas
Learner
Message 3 of 21
Message 3 of 21

Hi, its brand new outvof the box less than 24 hours old. It affects phone calls and only calls, howcis safe mode going to help that if i cant take, calls in it? Cheers
Genius
Message 4 of 21
Message 4 of 21

Hi @Patdfb

Because it can be a third party app that is creating this issue, and that´s why in this case I´d first of all boot the device into safe mode and check if problem persists.

"We can have anything we want on life, if we just help others to found what they need” - Ebelsain Villegas
Learner
Message 5 of 21
Message 5 of 21

Hi cheers, tried it, called voicemail. Screen dies for around 90 secs even in safemode!!!
Highlighted
Genius
Message 6 of 21
Message 6 of 21

Hi @Patdfb

Ok, please try first run a backup of the device information as explained here. Then perform a system repair using PC Companion or Bridge for MAC. This will factory reset your phone and erase all data. You might need to charge your device for about 1-2 hours before so the device has at least 80% battery. Make sure the device is not connected to computer or laptop and turned off until you are prompted (sometimes you have to press power button and volume up until the device vibrates 3 times or on some devices you have to press the small button near the SIM tray or on the back of the device). Start PC Companion -> Support zone -> Update my phone/tablet -> Blue Repair my phone/tablet -> follow instructions. When prompted connect your phone still switched off holding volume down or back button. The repair or reformat process will start. If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or a 64 bit operating system adjust settings for PC Companion and run in compatibility mode -> chose Windows 7 or XP.

Learner
Message 7 of 21
Message 7 of 21

@xavinux, why would i need to factory reset of a brand new phone?
Seems a bit extreme, if all that is affected is the phone part. Rest of os is fine. Can not just force stop or reinstall phone?
Genius
Message 8 of 21
Message 8 of 21

Hi @Patdfb

This is used to perform a repair of the device, as if your issue also appears in safe mode, then it's not created by a third party app.

Learner
Message 9 of 21
Message 9 of 21

Okies will try it
Genius
Message 10 of 21
Message 10 of 21

Hi @Patdfb

Good, keep us updated please. I´m at disposal for any question.