account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Z5 Self Cracking Screeen

Learner
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Z5 Self Cracking Screeen

Hi guys, I have had the same problem as many people the Z5 screen just devloped a very thin crack down the middle of the screen and would not respond.

I have contacted sony support and the recommended to send off the phone to the repairshop which I did . The shop as usual quoted £118 per Sony "give me money" mantra. I have also contacted the chat again and asked for the problem to be escalated while the agent tryed to convinse me that paying is my only option. The reference number is 1-28018214007. The thing is teh explanation was not that I did any thing what to the phone but that the screen is somehow not covered under warranty.

Please advise which steps to take next as I am more than happy to follow in a legal format  have previously held the full range Z-Z1-Z3-Z5 and the screen seems to be recurring....

Also the phone overheats but that was expected and I save a lot of money on the house heating....

7 REPLIES 7
Genius
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Z5 Self Cracking Screeen

Hi @OVERSIER,

I'm sorry to hear about your phone.

Unfortunately if there is not much else that can be done other than having your phone sent to an authorized service centre for repairs.

Since service and warranty procedures can vary from market to market I can't really say much about that, questions on that subject are better answered by your Local support. It is hard, however, to determine if this is a warranty case or not until a technician has examined your phone.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for giving me the default reply and not adressing any of the questions or rather ignoring them would be the correct difinition.

Highlighted
Genius
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

I'm sorry you feel that way but I'm unfortunately not able to answer all of your questions.

Warranty and service procedures vary on a local level. This is a global forum and for questions regarding why your repair was or wasn't covered by warranty can only be answered your local support team, if you have any further questions about your repair I recommend that you contact them.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Sony Xperia Z5 Compact Issue...

Sony, be a proper company, like SAMSUNG (Funnily enough, since i use Sony cause i hate Samsung) and recall your mistake, stop stealing peoples money, saying they were at fault when the device gets so hot it cracks the "almost indistructible" tappered glass.

Have you ever read up on the effects of a cellular phone, say in a pocket, what the heat of a REGULAR device, causes to a humans body, well, since i cant keep my Xpera Z5 Compact in my pocket due to the heat issue, should i not be seeking legal advice now on the medical side as well. Your device is faulty, be a ethical, good company, recall the device, and keep all of your customer base as well as add more. You think Samsung will lose clients over the battery issue in the NOTE? No, they did the right thing, recalled it and replaced it with apologies. Unlike Sony, telling me after i opened a support case for the rear glass cracking, only 3 weeks after getting my new Z5c, with no SIM, not charging doing practically nothing, which i have witnesses to, and SONY SUPPORT said what??? 

UPDATE THE FIRMWARE, IT WILL FIX THE DEVICE. No Sony, a FW update wont fix a crack.

AND PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE you need to stop these useless updates, not only is my phone lagging, and slowing down MAJOR, due to you THROTTLING the CPU, meaning my CPU SPEED is now not the legally advertised by SONY CORP speed, when i purchased the device. Not only this, but these speed stealing tactics of yours are not helping, my phone gets HOTTER now due to the fact it hangs, and i guess catching up after it hangs must need much more CPU than a normal process run.

Maybe you need to sit down and think about where you want to be in peoples eyes... Would you like to be a company like, say, APPLE, that rips people off, well sorry SONY, you cant, due to people respecting APPLE for all they have done, therefore they will spend as much as APPLE askes of them, unlike you. So think before you mess up again, or someone gets seriously hurt.

Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Re: Sony Xperia Z5 Compact Issue...

I never heard that there's an epidemic on Sony phones like Samsung's exploding Notes. The screen will crack due to hundreds of reasons, and I don't think that some extra heat would cause it honestly. I live in a very hot country where temperatures can reach 50+ degrees easily, and I owned mostly all the Xperia X series phones and never got a crack on any of them. And I'm talking about an amount of heat capable of almost burning my skin and caused the phone to shut down for safety.

Overheating is a common issue on most phones that can be caused by software issues or even 3rd party apps consuming too much CPU power, or simply a faulty unit that needs to be inspected by a professional to know what caused the crack, is it heat or something else.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Learner
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Re: Sony Xperia Z5 Compact Issue...

The X range, is not waterproof or dust resistant, so would not get as hot, and the issue was not the phone, it was the fact Sony ignored the heat issue in the processor. There were a few phones before that came with the same processor, that had heat issues, Sony knew this, and even added a heat displacing pipe extra in the Xperia Z5, which the Z5 Compact didnt get, proving they knew there was a problem, and once again making it the consumers problem.

The Xperia Z range was also supposed to be the PREMIUM range, so top CPU / Camera / Memory, etc so this would also mean higher heat. 

I had a Xperia Z1 Compact and its the reason i stayed with Sony, since it was an amazing phone. This Z5 Compact is a failure and they need to fix the issue instead of hiding behind agreements and warranties, too many devices have the issue, and it has been proven from the Z1 Compact, there was a self-cracking issue, which you can search in the forums here to even see. If there is so much proof of Sony being wrong, for them to not admit it, in my eyes is probably the stupidist thing they could do.

The reason companies like Apple, even Blackberry from before they crashed, kept their clients, was because they would admit when they are wrong and they would fix their mistakes / issues. Sony wonders why its customer base numbers fluctuate so much and are not stable... Why, here is proof...

One time poster
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

I've been using my new Z5 Dual for 9 days and it has developed a hairline crack on the screen. A tempered glass screen protector was fitted as soon as I unboxed the phone, as the glass protector is still completely unmarked that would rule out any impact damage. My old Z2 was a solid phone in every respect, I'm sorely disappointed with the Z5 so far. Hoping to hear from Sony soon, just hoping they don't try and blame me for the defective screen...