account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Z3 won't respond to most chargers, won't connect to computer by USB

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Z3 won't respond to most chargers, won't connect to computer by USB

Hello! I have an Xperia Z3 through T-Mobile that has been incredible until recently.
I've been traveling in South Africa for the last seven months, and within the last weekend, I've had a significant issue come up either with the battery of the phone or something to do with the microUSB connection.
I usually charge my phone using a plug converter from ZA to US (and most nights, one with a surge protector and full current converter, but not on the given weekend), the charging base that came with the phone, and a random USB-microUSB cable I bought when I lost the original. I had also been charging the phone mostly using the USB connection to the radio on the VW Polo I was driving. A few nights ago, I charged the phone overnight on what I think was a Samsung two-prong South African charger. After that, the phone wouldn't respond to being connected by the cable to my car or using my converters. The phone died, and continued to not respond to any cables connected to any computers or wall chargers (both South African and American with converters). It only responded to a power bank and one other South Africa-specific two-prong Samsung charger. The phone won't connect to my laptop by any of the cables I try. It won't charge when connected to my Mac, and won't trigger a reaction by the Bridge. It also won't connect to native South African computers using local USB cables.
Now that the phone is charged, I'll try updating all the software, but all the things I've tried are making me think that there might be some damage within the battery or the microUSB connector slot that's only letting it respond to electronics using specific South African currents and/or voltages.
I've tried restarting the phone in all the ways listed, plugging in the chargers while pressing many combinations of buttons, and changed settings according to the troubleshooting page. I'll continue trying things, but do you have any ideas for what I might do to fix this or what might be wrong? I'll return to the US in mid-July and can send it for repairs then, if that's what the phone needs, but I'd like to back up the phone in case these problems get worse. Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Z3 won't respond to most chargers, won't connect to computer by USB

Firstly, check the port for any residue that may be covering contact points, you can clean the port using a soft artist paintbrush and a puff of air.
Does the phone respond if connected to charge in safe mode? Or whilst turned off?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Genius
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Hi @LPerez,

Sorry to hear that.

First of all, try pressing and holding the power and volume up buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds or until the phone vibrates or press and hold the OFF-button next to your SIM-card until the phone vibrates. Use a paperclip, pen or something else Then connect a charger again.

It might take about 30 minutes for the device to indicate that it is charging if it is completely discharged, during this period the display may remain black. Try charging your device for about 4 hours as it can take a while for a completely depleted battery to fully charge.

If possible, use a Sony original charger and USB-cable specifically intended for your device. Other chargers may be too weak or too strong as they may have a different electric current rating (mA).

Have you tried performing a software repair using Xperia Companion? If that doesn't work or didn't help then I suggest that your contact your Local support in order to have your device sent to an authorized service center.

Regarding backups, if you are not able to start the phone it will be difficult. I you can start the phone then a backup can be created using either Xperia Companion or by going to Settings > Backup and reset and create a backup to (for example) an SD-card.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Could be the well known problem of Sony Xperia Z3 called Sudden Death.
Google it, plenty complaints and advice.
1.Take yr sim and micro sd card out...
2. connect the phone to a wall charger(pref original)
3.press and hold power & volume up for 10 seconds
4.the charging battery icon should eventually appear
5.let it charge for 2 to 3 hours
6.put yr cards back in
7.power up as normal

Once this works you should be able to use your laptop usb to pc repair or charge it,
i dont think the laptop has enough amperage to sort the sudden death symptom.
I use a Samsung charger on mine and its ok.
Chargers are relatively cheap,and most,if not all,are auto switchmode... 100/240v,just the prongs are country selective.
Rookie
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

The phone seems to only respond to native South African Samsung chargers (from the many I've tried, but I'll continue to try more), and it responds to it both in regular and safe mode and when turned off or on. When I plug it into those, it charges normally. (I assume this means there isn't debris blocking the contact points.) It does not respond to being plugged into my laptop (the most pressing concern), or to my charging set up at home (ZA-US converter, USB cable to phone).

Thanks for helping!

Rookie
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Oh, I must have not been clear, the phone is fully charged and does turn on and off and work normally. Right now it's only charging with a native South African Samsung charger. I did try the steps you mentioned--the power and volume up off function, the off button next to the SIM card--but the phone is still not responding to being plugged into my computer or regular US chargers, and I fear when I go back I'll be left to watch my phone burn through its battery and become a brick.

I tried running the 'Xperia Repair' within the 'Sony Bridge for Mac' (which is the same as the companion, yes?), and got past the step identifying the device, but even after waiting a very long time, the computer would not recognize the phone was plugged in and begin the automatic repair process. So I suppose I can't repair it this way.

Regarding your backup suggestions: I see only the option to backup to my Google account, is that what you meant? I don't see a specific place to back up to the SD card.

Thank you for helping!

Genius
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

@LPerez, ah okay. If you can start up the phone, have you tried installing Xperia Companion (which is also available for mac)? You should be able to create a backup in that program.

You can select your Google account if you make a backup directly in the phone, yes. If you have an SD-card in your phone you should be able to select that as location for the backup.

If you were not able to perform the repair in Bridge for Mac then I suggest trying it in Xperia Companion instead.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

I presume you have tried different cables,as even if they are charging, doesn't mean they are working for data transfer.
Wherever you take it, they going to factory reset it so you might as well try yourself first
Rookie
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Hello everyone,

Update after a few days. I did the factory reset, which did not fix the issue. It's still not connecting or recognizing my computer, so I'll just back it up to my SD card for now. I did go out and try a bunch of chargers, and found that only chargers that output at least 2 amps charged the phone, so I've bought an Energizer 2 amp ZA charger to last me until I return to the US, and I'm ordering a 2.4 amp charger from Amazon to be there when I get back.

A new question: how much does it charge to have a Sony repair center replace the battery in my Z3? I'm quite sure that's what's been messed up, and I'm wondering how much it'll cost to have that fixed (assuming nothing else is wrong with the phone, apart from maybe having a loose charger port cover). I'll also look into getting the battery replaced here in South Africa, which might be cheaper if they can do it.

Thanks for your help!

Genius
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Hi again @LPerez,

In that case I would recommend that you send your device to an authorized service center. Regarding your query about costs you should contact your Local support.