account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z3 unable to mount 64GB micro SD card

Rookie
Message 51 of 57
Message 51 of 57

Re: Z3 unable to mount 64GB micro SD card

My previous SD (Stronium) was still failed. Finally , I bought Sony SR-64UYA. It works fine in Z3.

One time poster
Message 52 of 57
Message 52 of 57

Hi,

Just to let you know I figured out how to fix it on my device.

I have a Xperia Z3 Compact D5803. Initially it arrived with a Greek firmware. I believe the version is KitKat 4.4.4, 23.0.A.2.93. It was not able to mount SD card and it did not have wifi!

I then found this post that points the problem to the firmware. It was saying the exFAT module was broken so I tried formatting the SD card with FAT32 and it worked! Android was able to mount the card. But once I used the built-in format function to format the card, it becomes un-mountable again. This again confirmed the issue is with file system. I guess those who had success with smaller cards or different brands may be having a card formatted with FAT32 instead of exFAT.

Then I flahsed firmware with exactly the same GLOBAL version and these issues are gone! I flashed another version and it was OK, too. So it seems that this issue is only with a few particular sub-versions of firmware. If you still havn't got it solved you can try flashing it's super easy. There are tutorials on XDA and it's rather safe.

As of the moment I am still not clear as how the exFAT module was broken since even the same kernel version could behave differently but flashing a different ROM indeed fixed it.

One time poster
Message 53 of 57
Message 53 of 57

The same problem occurs with my sony xperia z3 as well.. I have checked with various 64gb sd card...Also tried with one of the 128gb microsd card..The issue seems to be related with firmware level bug.. Sony Needs to work on it.. Detail steps already done:

1) Formatting Sd Card using native windows format tool.

2) Formatting with SDCard format tool.GUI Format tool..

3) Checking with Low level format as well..

4)SD Card works fine with other mobiles..and pcs..

Found that in some users case the sd card works fine..But this is not the ultimate solutions..

I understand that its a firmware level bug ..SONY Really needs to work on it..Don't expect this from sony.

Would like to receive any solution from Sony..

Thanks.

Adept
Message 54 of 57
Message 54 of 57

Are you sure to insert correctly, ussualy Sony Xperia phones can receive 2 models SD card,so try to put SD card with yellow pin up or down
One time poster
Message 55 of 57
Message 55 of 57

i've had this on two different Z3 compact phones (i'm guessing they use the same hardware card reader as the Z3) and three different 64GB micro SD cards (named brand ones). as many others above, i've reformatted the cards repeatedly using a mac, a pc and the phone itself. i've had the cards not mount, unmount, corrupt completely and then corrupt selective (but the majority of) photographs. i got a brand new replacement phone under warranty after the first one completely died (sudden death) - and it does the same!

unbelievable to see that this is another issue that Sony is not admitting to (the first i came across being the 'sudden death' issue, still occurring on the Z3 compact not only previous handsets).

One time poster
Message 56 of 57
Message 56 of 57

Sad to know the problem isn't solved yet. I have the same problem with my Z3 and a 128 GB micro SD. I was going to buy Z5 premium this week, but I won't risk to have the same problem, so I think now I won't buy it. Sorry Sony...

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 57 of 57
Message 57 of 57

For the record, I appeared to have the same problem - Sony   Xperia Z3 Compact, 64GB SD card, and it wouldn't show all the files in Windows Explorer (but would if I looked at the SD card using a separate reader), and the phone got hot and ran the battery flat very quickly.

I tried formatting it as FAT32 but it made no difference.  I cleared the stored data and cache with the Data Manager which temporarily stopped it overheating but wouldn't show any files!  So I bought a 32GB SD card... same problem!

In the end I FINALLY tracked it down to a file on there that the Media Storage task was having problems with.  Basically it didn't like a .m4a file; it seems this file confused it when it tried to see what file type it was (in this case AAC encoded music file) and got stuck on this file forever.

So... if you want to fix the problem, I recommend copying your files to the SD card using your phone and a USB cable (not an SD card reader) as it will pick up any incompatible files and check you want to copy them over.  If you do choose to then you might have problems.  Maybe if you remove any .m4a files on there it will start working.

Anyhow I now happily have my Xperia Z3 Compact running with a (genuine) SanDisk 64GB SD card and no more overheating!

Hope this helps Slightly smiling Face

Richard