account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z3 Compact dropping cellular connection

Regular
Message 1 of 19
Message 1 of 19

Z3 Compact dropping cellular connection

Bought a new Xperia Z3 Compact last Friday, and have run into a problem that I have never experienced before with any of my previous smartphones.
I commute to and from work by train, at one small spot along the route there are one cellular blind spot.
The mobile loses cellular contact for 20 to 30 seconds every time the train passes the blind spot, and then the signal is back. But that’s not the case with the Z3 Compact. After cellular signal is lost, it’s lost forever. Even several hours later the phone has no signal, just a red x over the signal strength bars. If I reboot the phone, the signal is back and the phone is working again.
So, I have to reboot my phone twice every day… Every morning and afternoon.
This is a brand new phone and I am pretty disappointed in the product because of this.
The good old HTC One smartphone works like a charm with the same SIM card.

18 REPLIES 18
Adviser
Message 2 of 19
Message 2 of 19

Re: Z3 Compact dropping cellular connection

Are you using Stamina mode by any chance?

Regular
Message 3 of 19
Message 3 of 19

All battery saving functionality is disabled.
The same thing happens if I use the telephone, the signal droppes and never comes back.
Restart phone and voala.

Christer.

Visitor
Message 4 of 19
Message 4 of 19

Same issue. Im not using the stamina. Have build number 23.0.A.2.93. If I restrt the phone is ok again.. But this is extremely annoying on a brand new phone. Every day when I take the train home, this happens.

Highlighted
Adept
Message 5 of 19
Message 5 of 19

I would try to repair the phone via pc companion ...

Commissioner
Message 6 of 19
Message 6 of 19

Are you using LTE? If so, the situation may improve if you disable LTE and use "GSM/WCDMA": go into settings > more >mobile networks > network mode, choose WCDMA/GSM. For the best signal (but slow internet) you can choose "GSM only"

Adviser
Message 7 of 19
Message 7 of 19

I've been losing my 3G connection and I might have found something that could be causing this issue: Bluetooth. Last night I repaired my device but left Bluetooth off (I usually connect to BT in the car and have a Fitbit that the phone connects to using BLE at regukar intervals). I didn't have a dropped 3G connection all day at work! However, when I got home I went for a run with a pair of Bluetooth headphones connected, and my route goes through an area with no coverage. Sure enough, when I got home the problem had reoccurred and I had no data. Rebooting fixed it.

It's hardly an extensive test but perhaps it's something to check.

Visitor
Message 8 of 19
Message 8 of 19

It seams that the issue is less of a problem if I disable the wifi. The train has wiki but I need to signin each time (so I don't use it).. but if I disable the wiki I don't loose the 3g/4g connection.

One time poster
Message 9 of 19
Message 9 of 19

Is there a real solution to this problem? I don't wan't some workaround that keeps me from having my wifi or bluetooth turned on.

Rookie
Message 10 of 19
Message 10 of 19

I have the Z3 and I experience the exact same a me issue when the phone loses data it does not recover nor does it when it loses signal. I have a pebble connected via BLE. This needs sorting out