account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Z2 hangs / reboots every 1-2 weeks

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Z2 hangs / reboots every 1-2 weeks

Hi,

I know there are already threads handling this topic, but those are partly drifting off the real topic or part of general "Android 4.4.4" issues where everything else is mentioned. I want to go into technical details and find out the root cause of those problems and personally I believe this is all about a software issue.

I have my Z2 now around 1 month and have seen the issue 3 times.

Symptoms:

- device is not reactive anymore and pressing the "on" button has a huge lag till the screen turns on

- device gots warm around the camera (I guess the SoC/CPU is located in that area)

- device constantly reboots every 5-10 minutes (I guess because of a watchdog)

- device recovers after some hours with lots of reboots (last time this weekend 27 times according to the diagnostics dialog) and after consuming around 50% of the battery

My facts:

- I'm using the latest 23.0.1.A.0.167 software - I can't clearly say if it started with this Android 4.4.4 version or if the first occurrence of the issue already has been with the previous Android 4.4.2 build.

- I'm using the Stamina mode constantly (reduced CPU power)

- I have a 64GB microSD card with lots (thousands) of .ogg music files

- with the tool "OS monitor", I can see that during this time at least android.process.media and storage manager (don't know the exact English translation since I'm using German settings - there it is "Speicher") consume 25% CPU (1 core/thread for 100%)

- in the diagnostics dialog I can also see really lots of application crashes at that time, but I guess this is simply because the CPU is overloaded and they are getting to little CPU time to be reactive anymore -> watchdog kills. These crashes are mainly also from android.process.media (379), "Speicher" (3), SmartKey (36), Goggles (43), Facebook (4). But as said, I guess this does not mainly mean that they are the culprits.

I don't know exactly what android.process.media is doing, but I can imagine that there is some kind of media inventory or media library refresh going on. I guess Stamina mode additionally triggers the problem and the watchdog gets active earlier because the CPU power is reduced. Overall my believe is that Android is simply doing it's work it should do and when done the device recovers from the problem - actually maybe not really intelligently running in the background and there is also no reason for it since the SD card is never removed. I guess having a huge music library should not be a problem since with the Walkman app Sony is placing the device to be perfect for that (and for most of the time it is, at least compared to my previous Galaxy S3).

Maybe someone from Sony or with Android developer background can give some insight if my believes are correct and suggest fixes or workarounds. This is really annoying if you cannot rely on your phone and it's a pity for the overall great product Z2.

Thx,

Klaus

15 REPLIES 15
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Re: Z2 hangs / reboots every 1-2 weeks

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your phone.

I talked to another user a while ago who had similar issues and it turned out to be a bad SD card causing it.

Do you see any bad removals or unexpected unmounts if you monitor it for some time using an app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sdcardmonitor?

If the card is unmounted and mounted again, Android will rescan all files which uses CPU, makes the CPU warmer and may affect the performance of other apps. If you have running apps which use the SD card as storage they may also crash if it's unmounted.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

Hi Rickard,

thanks for the reply. I've did a chkdsk on my Windows machine for the SD card (incl. check for bad sectors) without reporting any problem. Additionally I've installed your mentioned SD card monitor to record those events.

BTW, I'm using a Transcend Premium Class 10 microSDXC card TS64GUSDU1E. Pls let me know if there are compatibility lists available.

As said, I'm not sure if android.process.media is really the culprit - it was just showing up at the time of lockups, but I've noticed that it generally randomly consumes CPU from time to time. Actually for the main issue there needs to be some kind of bug in the scheduler of the kernel or wrong process priorization to make something like this happen.

Next time the mobile is in that lockup state, I will remove the SD card to see if it immediately recovers.

Pls let me know if I can provide any for you useful information from the diagnostics dialogs to troubleshoot.

BR,

Klaus

Adviser
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

I am also having similar problems so I will be following this thread

My phone is restarting itself at 7% and geting stuck in a loop where it constantly resets itself over and over
I have also followed the recommendations listed here with no reslove as of yet
i also have an sd card which is a 64gb samsung evo SDCX micro UHS-I

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

It's hard to say for sure but to me this sounds like it's related to some sort of issue with the storage.

In case this happens without any removal of the SD card is logged i recommend that you go to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Media Storage -> Clear data -> OK and then restart the phone.

In case the issue should remain after that you may need to do a repair of the phones software to clear the phones internal storage and memory.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

Done. Let's see how it performs after that.

Thx,

Klaus

Visitor
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

I've also had this issue on upgrading to 4.4.4, but I've had the phone for a few months prior to that with no issues, so it's definitely the upgrade causing it.  Once I went back to 4.4.2 this problem disappeared.

I have a SanDisk 64GB MicroSD card and thousands of music files.  Perhaps the problem is caused by having a large media collection?  Not sure why this would be a problem in 4.4.4 and not 4.4.2.

Adviser
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

Hi,

today the issue happened again - as exactly one week before on Sunday - and can tell some more facts:

1. it seems that it happens when an Internet connection is re-established. I'm always putting the phone in flight mode at night and it started again - as last Sunday morning - immediately after re-enabling the radios.

2. after I've noticed the first reboot, I've unmounted the SD card and ejected it gracefully. 10 minutes later I've inserted it again and no further reboot occurred.

So the SD card plays a role and I guess Internet also. Is there any task in the OS scheduled for Sunday morning? Is this task remote scheduled and needs an Internet connection?

Thx,

Klaus

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

Sorry to hear that the issue remains.

When this happend, did the SD card monitor (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sdcardmonitor) log any unexpected removal of the SD card?

When you enable data or exit flight mode alot of apps in your phone will update or sync.

Adviser
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

Hi,

no, there was no unexpected or "bad" removal.

2014-12-08 16.16.04.png

According to the diagnostics dialog, the device restart was on 07-12-2014 at 07:58:28 and the non-responsive applications started at 07:48:21

Beside flight mode, I've configured the Stamina mode to only allow the E-mail app to send&receive data in the background. So then I should see the problem also at work when I'm having the device in standby for the work day. Additionally I need to say that the issue occurred at least for the last 2 weeks just on Sunday mornings and I have it in flight mode every day at night.

I would be really happy to get some ideas how to troubleshoot. Are there logs or can they be enabled? I have software developer background myself, but I have currently no time to dig into Android details.

Thx,

Klaus