account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Z1 Self Cracking Screen

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Z1 Self Cracking Screen

daniel barnesnoimei.jpg

As others have found, the Xperia Z1 has the same self cracking screen issue as the previous Z handset.

Mine decided it was time to go while charging stationary on my desk at work. Looking online I noticed there were others with the same issues who had sent their device to Sony for repair.

Unfortunately Sony do not want to acknowledge the blatant problems with any of their products and have therefore decided that my warranty does not cover the damage. The repair centre have quoted around £122 to replace the screen or £20 to post it back which is absurd!

Has anyone else had any success dealing with the support team? It's becoming increasingly frustrating speaking to someone reading from a script!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Z1 Self Cracking Screen

I think they judged on the looks of this crack, it has an obvious impact point so they should have concluded that it was dropped/hit at this point.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Rookie
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

See that's the thing, that's what the conclusion is. I guess there's no way I could prove how the damage occurred by itself.
Emperor
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

@danbarney

I agree with @Quester you can see the point of impact, if it wasn't neither hit nor dropped, then it could be that you sat on it? or something fell on it?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Totally agree with you guys about it looking like it's been dropped etc. Just wish I had evidence to back up the handset causing the damage itself. Guess it's time to pay the £20 and get my device back.
Visitor
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Self Cracking Screen Z1S

I recently (7 days ago) purchased a "Certified Pre-Owned" Xperia Z1S.  After having the phone for 3 days the phone, without contact, developed a single hairline crack.  Sony is aware of the issue of overheating of the phone causing a hairline crack and has previous supplied T-Mobile with documentation regarding the Xperia Z (https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10500).  

The issue I am having: Sony would replace the phone, because of this known issue (http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/05/30/bbcs-watchdog-investigates-xperia-z1-cracking-screen-issue-sony... if for not the fact the phone is "Pre-Owned.  Per Sony: there no manufacture warranty on "Pre-Owned" phones.

A manager with T-Mobile (Nick A. from Springfield MO) acknowledged that the Xperia Z has a replacement policy, but they have not received any documentation for the Xperia Z1S having the issue. I requested that Nick A. initiate contact with Sony to resolve, be was informed he was not able.

I am asking that Sony take a proactive position and contact T-Mobile and document, the Xperia Z1, also has a self-cracking screen issue.

Please forward documentation to the CEO:

john.legere@t-mobile.com

Forum Legend
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Re: Self Cracking Screen Z1S

This is a user led forum so you would need to contact Xperia care about this - http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Emperor
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Re: Self Cracking Screen Z1S

@Edwardswur

Please don't create duplicate posts, thank you.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)